My BF and I are getting an apartment. I want to work to help pay bills, but I don't want to have to find a babysitter. Should I babysit? I've done it when I was younger. What can I do, and what can I expect?

I have an 8 month old son too.

Asked by Zoann at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• There are several things you can do. If you're good at typing and know how to type letters and the like you can do transcription work (my mom does this part time). Or you can open a daycare in your home (if your area allows it). You might have to get certified and take a first aid and CPR class.

Answer by amethystrse at 2:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I am a former preschool teacher and have worked with children for almost 15 years. At present, I am a private nanny, and take my 3 year old son with me. I went back to work as a nanny when D was 5 weeks old, and have worked continuously ever since.
    It can be a great way to make money while staying with your child, but it can also be especially taxing on your space and time. If there is a market for babysitting in your area, expect to make a bit less because you have your own child. Also, make sure that you find families that have similar parenting styles, as that can be extremely difficult.
    If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
    Best of luck to you and your family!

Answer by DeylansMama at 2:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• work from home
    work with a 20+year company
    get payed
    have your kids right by your side
    have fun doing it
    NO Selling
    NO Partys
    Free support

Answer by tigger81007 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• You have to be clear on your rules up front so things like moms showing up without diapers for their babies, or without your paycheck on time, don't happen- or if they do occur the moms know what the repercussions will be. I think if you are selective and professional about whom you choose to babysit, it would help too.

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2008