Why did my breastmilk look green after I weaned my baby?

My left nipple started feeling hard and sore a minute ago do I went to the bathroom and squeezed it too see if I still had milk. My son has been weaned for a few weeks not...about 3. A little drop came out and it was thick and green. Why is it green? And why is it hard and sore all of a sudden?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I forget the darn wording, but I think the correct term is "metastasized". That is one of the things you need to look out for when you stop BF'ing. Your body is still producing milk in small amounts, and your ducts get clogged and infected if they are not expressed. Try massaging the area (I know it is slightly painful) to get some of the milk that is in there loosened up, and hand express it. Try taking a hot shower to help with that. And keep at it over the weekend, hopefully it clears up. Whether it does or not, call your Doc on Monday and go get looked at to be sure the infection is gone.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You may have Mastitis. Breast mastitis is an infection that commonly affects women who are breast-feeding (especially during the first two months after childbirth) but can occur in all women at any time. Mastitis is a benign (non-cancerous) condition that can usually be treated successfully with antibiotics. Signs of mastitis include red, hot, painful, or inflamed breasts and other flu-like symptoms such as headache, nausea, high temperature (101 degrees Fahrenheit, 38.4 degrees Celsius or greater), or chills.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Ah, that was the word I was looking for. Mastitis. Not Metastasized. I knew that didn't sound right!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• You have an infection! Don't massage it . It will just spead the infection to a larger area. Just go to the doctor and get antibiotics. And take Tylenol or advil for the pain.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Massaging it (if it IS mastitis) CAN help tremendously. It will NOT "spread the infection". Massaging the breast while nursing and taking antibiotics WILL help break up the clot and will improve healing time.

Sources: I have had mastitis five times.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008