Is i rude to take someone's clothes out of the washer or dryer so you can use it if they haven't come to get them?

I live in an apartment complex and a lot of times when I go to wash clothes someone will be ahead of me and won't come get their clothes out of the washer or dryer so other people can use them. I mean for like hours, I will sit there and wait for the dryer to be emptied so I can put my clothes in there from the washer! I am getting tired of it. Is it rude if after an hour or so I take the person's clothes out and put them in there basket so I can use the machine?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 5:16 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used to do that too. Just keep a "look out" that person may come back and take your clothes or something. I remember I would want to do my laundry on my days off and would wait and wait for people to get their clothes that had been done for hours. I feel your frustration. I would never fold their clothes though, that's just gross/creepy! ha ha!

josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 8:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No but I do fold it.... LOL just cuz I feel guilty when I shouldn't
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 5:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd wait an hour, but after that, it's perfectly fair to remove their clothes from the washer. They are hogging a shared resource.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, it's rude of them to leave it there for so long
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:18 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If someoen pulled that crap where I grew up when they finally did come back to get their stuff it probably wouldn't be there anymore. Either that or they would find it in the dirt in a corner or in the trash can.
    luvsmysonjames

Comment by luvsmysonjames (original poster) at 5:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I used to do that. If they do not come back it is not your problem.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I use to do it until I found my wet clothes taken out and then another time I found my clothes stolen after that I've just larned to become alot more patient and wait for them to take it out or wait for another machine to become available.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you take it out right when the washer/dryer stops--yes that is rude. If you wait more than a half hour and the clothes are still there, no, it's not rude. What's rude is if you take it out and throw it on the floor. I don't believe you have to fold it, but put is somewhere nicely.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• not at all, if there's a counter or something to put them on go for it. Just dont dump them on the floor. I had a lady once even fold mine for me when stepped out to get some coffee. that was a little to creepy for me
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010