Was there a point during labour and delivery where you thought/felt like you couldnt take it anymore? or was it tolerable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• All four times it always got to the point where I felt I could tolerate it no more.....but I did anyways.There is sort of no backing out at that point lol.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I only got to a point where I didn't think I could handle any more after about 68 hours of labor (hardly knew I was in labor until about 64 or 65 hours in, though). I was exhausted from my doctor making me check into the hospital when I was hardly dilated, they hadn't fed me, and I hadn't slept in 2.5 days. I was 8 or 8.5cm dilated and I hit transitional labor and thought I wouldn't survive it and thought it was going to last a long time like the rest, so I broke and asked for an epidural. Before they could finish getting it in, my daughter's head had crowned and I was fighting pushing urges lol. Those 2-5 minutes seemed like they lasted forever, and like I wouldn't be able to make it, but I did. Before and after that it was all a breeze, though (apart from being tired and hungry lol).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well, i didn't go into labor naturally. I had a pitocin drip the whole time, but it only lasted 5.5 hours... first baby the doctor was shocked... i started pushing and there were no nurses or doc in the room! Well, about 30 minutes before I had my baby, I felt that there was no way I could make it to the end, it just hurt too bad. I got IV meds and I was then able to sleep in between contractions and at the time I felt it was the best thing in the world.

I hope to use no drugs next time though, I didn't like the feeling they gave me after birth.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my first one i had no drugs it took me 6 half hours from the time i went to the hospital till i had her it was not to bad yes there were a few times when the pain made me cry but it was not that bad i tell you the after math is what hurts i had to be cut down there and forgot my water bottle once yea i never did that again and with my boys i had a c section so no pain from that
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Many, many women feel that way during labor, that it's too much, too big, they can't handle it. They doubt themselves, their bodies, their mental abilities. It's a scary time for some women. That's when it is so important to have a caring, experienced labor supporter with you to remind you that it's normal, that the pain you are experiencing is healthy and that it will be over soon (HIRE A DOULA, your husband is not this person unless he is himself a doula and your doctor and nurses are unlikely to be there for you at all during labor). The good news is that that phase (transition) is the shortest part of labor. Pushing feels very different for most women, and hurts less. Then it's over and you're holding a baby :)

It's also worth mentioning that not all women experience this, and some even experience orgasm during birth :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• With my second daughter. When her head was coming out- it felt like there was a blowtorch on my crotch and I kept saying 'I give up, I can't do this'. Turns out that the reason it hurt so much was because she had been in the down possition and lodged in my pelvis for so long, she had a huge hemotoma (cone as they call it) on the side of her head (it took 3 months for that sucker to go away).
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, during transition. My husband was great though, he just kept reminding me that I was strong and I COULD do it, and that soon we would be holding our precious bundle. He really helped me get through it.
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 8:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• All 3 of mine were drug free labors and when I got to about 7 centimeters (with all 3) I felt like I couldn't take it......within a half hour they were born. My first two labors were short......from the start of first contraction to the end was only 5 hours and that's with going in not dialated at all. My last labor lasted 25 hours and was a breeze up until 21 hours when I was still 2 centimeters dialated and they started talking about a c-section.......all of a sudden contractions started and 4 hours later I was holding my baby girl.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:30 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i think that's pretty common during transition. you just have to remember that once you feel like you can't go on any longer, it's almost over!!! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2010