Letter from EX- Do I respond?

So I just recieved a letter from my Ex boyfriend the other day. He is in jail now I guess and he wanted to write to tell me he was sorry for everything that happened and that he isnt asking for anything in return but for that someday that ill forgive him ( not to get back together or anything) . Which I already have. We were together for over a year and lived together. We broke up in January and has some drama since.

I have another boyfriend now. But I didnt know if you ladies think its okay to respond to my ex by letter to say good luck in life and that I do forgive him? Or is it wrong and should I just leave it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I would be happy that he had the courage to right to you and apologize for hurt that he caused. Honestly I would only right him back if you feel the need to. Otherwise take the letter as a very special ending to a unique situation. Don't look back, but feel good about it going forward. :)
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My hubby has recently gotten a letter from his ex wife saying the same thing. I say go ahead and respond letting him know that you forgive him and let him know that you hope the best for him or good luck in life. Make sure he realizes in the letter that you are happy now.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with Juggalette.......first make sure that your boyfriend knows about it (you don't want that coming back to haunt you), also make it clear that you're happy now ......... something like "I have forgiven you for ....... and I hope that someday you can be as happy as I am with my current boyfriend. Good luck with your life" Make it something short, sweet and to the point.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I found the only time my GR-Daughter's father EVERY thought about her was when he WAS IN JAIL. Needless to say, he has since lost his parental rights. I myself wouldn't write, go on with your new life, and with your new boyfriend.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd write back. But my new boyfriend would know about it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sounds like this guy is just worth forgetting. If you feel that sending him a letter would bring closure, then do it. If you feel sending a letter would cause him to continue with you as pen pals, then don't open that can of worms.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Everyone needs closure... I would write him back.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 8:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• accept the apology and move on
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with Juggalette and colethky. Also I wanna add this could be the beginning of him trying to right wrongs and turn his life around. I think it probably took a lot for him to write it and if you didn't write back it could be discouraging for him to try to be a better person. I have an ex who has went down an awful road and I'd still do anything I could to help him. My S/O knows and supports my choice to do so. Just because you no longer love someone or want to be with them doesn't mean you have to stop caring about them and their well-being.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with jenae....
    Momofboys22

Answer by Momofboys22 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2010