fever?

my 2.5 yr old spiked a fever last night of 103. i gave him the motrin but he was still burning up. so i took him to the ER they gave him tylenol suppositeries and antibiotics but i just don't understand why this happened all of a sudden. there are no other symptoms and ears throut are fine. i thought maybe from a bug bite but the doctors seemed skeptical. has this ever happened to your kid a fever with no other sypmtoms? any advice would help.

miritrose

Asked by miritrose at 8:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes. The ER told us it could be a virus going around but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. My son had a high fever with no other symptoms. It was scary.
    Momofboys22

Answer by Momofboys22 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Read this on fevers, very good info. Many parents take the child to the ER when not needed and take antibiotics when not needed as well.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Kids get fevers. The fever is nature's design for fighting fevers. The best treatment for a fever is to keep a child well hydrated and comfortable. For some it is wetting down the hair and dressing lightly. Others might need to huddle under blankets in bed or on the couch.

I try to not treat a fever with ibuprofen or acetaminafen unless the fever is over 102.5 or the child is very uncomfortable (mine are old enough to ask.)

Call a doctor if the fever has not gone after 3 days. It is not a medical emergency until the fever is over 105 and not responsive to medications (and of course if your child is lethargic or unresponsive.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Actually this happened to both of my girls this summer and a neighborhood child as well. It was just a fever for a couple of days. The doctor said it could be a symptom of the childs body fighting off a virus. All of the kids rested for a couple days and I pushed lots of fluids just in case it was dehydration or something. I hope your little one feels better soon!
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• could be they are fighting a virus. Both my girls had fevers this year as well. Not to long ago achually. It started with my oldest she is 5. She was fine all day long and then at about 5 she was laying around I kept asking her what was wrong she kept saying nothing (my DD is like that she will tell you nothing is wrong). I took her temp it was 103 although she did complain that her head was hurting. I gave her tylenol and fluids all that day then the next day it was around 99-100 then by the next day it was gone. She threw up only one time and it wasn't even that much I thought maybe she threw up from the pain of her head hurting. She was crying her head hurt so bad. At about 7 the same day my oldest got it my youngest said she was sick we thought it was becasue daddy was giving attention to the oldest so I took her temp to see if she was fibbing it was 103 as well. She had no other symptoms at all. Next say CONT
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• it was 102 then next day it was 99 then by evening it was gone. Not sure what they had, but all my youngest had was a fever she is 2.5 if I didn't already mention that
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No it hasn't but I kept my godson before and he developed a fever out of no where I rubbed him down with green alcohol and it worked like a charm.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 3:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My kid is 6 and STILL gets fever for no know reason. I have gotten to were I don't even treat a fever until it hits 103.5 (under the arm) or last more than 24 hours. This way I get a better idea if any other symptoms do come up. (like pain that could get masked by tylenol)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• *102.5 under the arm.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Viruses happen...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010