What age did you start taking your child on vacation? Does it really matter?

My son is 22 months and I want to take him to different places out of state. I was thinking to wait until he is old enough to appreciate the things he see but I would like to hear about some of your stories, those who can relate.

Kboyd1012

Asked by Kboyd1012 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We take my son with us where ever we go. Just take plenty of pictures. My son is 25 months.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:50 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think that it depends on the age of the child and where you are going. I first took my oldest on a plane when she was two months on a vacation to visit family. She did great! We took her again at almost three years to florida. She loves to travel now! :)
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 1st dd was 2 weeks old when we went on our first vacation. It was more for us than for her but I wouldnt want to go on vaca without my kids!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We've been taking our daughter on vacation since she was born. She's 6 now and loves looking at photos of the places she's been hearing stories.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When they are small it's just harder to really call it a vacation. There is more to take with you. You will be spending a great deal of time just taking care of the baby and not enjoying the reason you went on the trip in the first place.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We have an RV and we started taking both children at 6 months.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• we went on our first big vacation when my oldest was a almost 2.
    as our other three kids have arrived...we've always waited until they were in pull-ups and off the bottle...LOL!
    we have only traveled state side though since having kids.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 9:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We started taking our first son at 1 months. It doesn't matter.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• DD was 15 months old when we took her on our first big vacation which was a week in the Outer Banks. DS has gone everywhere with us including his first boat ride where we stayed overnight in Baltimore, MD when he was 1 month old.
    talestra

Answer by talestra at 10:30 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We've been taking her on camping trips since she was 5 weeks old. We took her on her first big vacation (plane trip, house rental, etc) when she was 18 months.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 1:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010