Special Ed. Do parents have the right to stop taking their child to school?

According to the school district if a parent prevents a child from going to school the parent will be investigated by Child Services.

Does this apply for cases where a child has a disability such as Autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you have every right to keep your child at home and homeschool. i think that rule was made for slacker kids/parents and not for you or the rest of us that intend on seeking some sort of viable education for our children.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 9:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, parents do not have the right to stop taking their child to school. My son has moderate autism, very limited speech, and extremely awkward social interactions, but he still has the ability to learn - and the school system has an obligation to teach him! If you are unhappy with your child's schooling, you can call an IEP to correct the situation but all children have to be in school, unless you homeschool.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, I would say it applies to all children. Call the school district and ask, they should have options avaliable to children with autism.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It depends on the laws in your state. My son is autistic and I homeschool him.
    Junction216

Answer by Junction216 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think they mean if the child is taken out of school and is not receiving any education at all. You'd just have to research what the homeschooling requirements are for your state if that's what you intend to do.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with the PP. It does not mean you cannot pull the child out of school and homeschool. It is for the parents who just pull their kids out and do not teach them anything. Of course if you are going to HS you need to follow the homeschooling laws for your state as well.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Your child HAS to have an EDUCATION, but that does not mean that it HAS to be at a "school building". You do have the option to homeschool, even if your child has autism. I agree with deadheadjen that the statement is saying that your child has to receive an education. You as the parent have every right to decide WHERE and HOW that education takes place. You can learn more about your state's homeschooling laws by visiting
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• HSLDA STATE LAWS is the site you can visit to learn more about the state laws re: homeschooling. I'm not sure what's up today, it must be me and my typos! LOL
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can home school. It;s legal and much more secure-feeling to the child.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010