At what age should you stop using swaddle blankets?

My son will be 9 months old in two days and still sleeps in a swaddle blanket. He doesn't sleep through the night any other way! (By 'through the night' I mean waking up once or twice to nurse.)

AuroraMoon

Asked by AuroraMoon at 9:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• four months
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There is no set age. You stop when baby wants to stop. It really doesn't hurt anything if they like it until they are older. Eventually, they will be to big for any blanket to swaddle. LOL That would be the only reason to stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was told around 3 - 4 months is a good age but I agree they will let you know. My twins still like to sleep with a blanker but not swaddled.
    igrobler

Answer by igrobler at 10:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Both my baby stopped liking it when they were withen a month old. They would fuss cause they couldnt get there arms out and then they eventually just would loosen up the rest.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:42 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can just keep swaddling. My youngest son has always liked being wrapped in his blankets and as a teen would somehow get himself pretty much swaddled. We called him burrito boy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I suppose you stop when the baby won't let you do it anymore. My oldest hated to be swaddled from the start. As soon as we brought her home from the hospital she kicked out of it and we stopped doing it. My youngest is almost 3 weeks old and I rarely swaddle him because it's summer and he gets so hot in the blanket. He just sleeps in a onesie with a receiving blanket over him. He still doesn't move much at night so it works.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Hmm.. he doesn't necesarily enjoy being swaddled, but he moves so much at night that it wakes him up constantly. I've tried just tucking in the blankets really tight but that doesn't seem to help.
    AuroraMoon

Comment by AuroraMoon (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We were using Halo Sleepsack Swaddles, and the package says to stop when LO shows signs of rolling over, breaking loose, or not wanting it. And this tends to happen around 3-4 months, give or take. Most likely, at 9 months, your LO is rolling over, if not also breaking loose. My DS kept getting his arms out around 4 months old, and we did one arm out, then both, then Halo sleepsack, and it amazed me at how easily he adjusted.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 12:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2010