How do you react towards your teenage Step-son's bad attitude towards you?

Every time you ask him to do something or remind him of something, do you get a huff, grumbling and sometimes an outright "no" from your teenage step-son? How about when he finally does what you ask, he does such a terrible job that you have to redo his work in order to avoid an argument with him.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have a step-son but have to deal with this from time to time with my boys. Have you talked to his father about it? Is there the possiblity that his mother is telling him he doesn't have to listen to you? Could he still be trying to test you? In my case my boys have responsibilities that reward them with the freedom to many of the things they want to do (spend time with friends, have friends over, go to movies, ice cream with mom, family nights) If they don't meet their responsibilities in my house they don't get the freedom they want or the extra $$ to do those things. We believe that everyone is the house is responsible to help out, we negotiate the time line but bottom line is - those things need done. I don't try to control and expect things done right then, its common to get the huffy attitude, I just ignore it and remind them what they don't get if things are not done, and ask when they expect to complete it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010