How do I keep my milk supply from running out?

When I BF my 1st child 4 years ago , my milk supply dried up and I was only able to BF for 3-4 months, I want to BF for at least a year this time, is there any way I can make my milk supply from drying up????

CapeCodMom1

Asked by CapeCodMom1 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• in general, your milk supply will not dry up as long as you are not supplementing at all with formula. if you breastfeed exclusively for the first several weeks, and then pump any bottles that are given. what made you think you were drying up? were there plenty of pees and poops? i'd research on the kellymom website. GL!!!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I had to supplement with my son Gavin because he was losing weight, and I think that made a huge difference, I am not even going to buy any formula except a very small container because I am so set on only BF. Did you pump with your baby or only BF??? My husband loved giving a bottle to Gavin and I don't want him to feel left out with Brody when he comes in Sept.
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• with my first son i BF for a few weeks and then started pumping for work. he never had formula until he was several months old. i was worried that i would dry up then from supplementing but it was only a few bottles per week and he was old enough that my supply did not dry up.

now i have a 33 weeker preemie and he is heavily supplemented because for his first 4 weeks i could only pump and he could not eat. my supply never responded to the pump and i have been struggling with it since then. i'm extremely worried that my supply will go down because of the supplementation.

i'd definitely see a lactation consultant (IBCLC) if you are worried about the baby gaining weight this time. i did that, and my lactation consultant was so great! GL! also you might want to have NO formula in the house :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Breastfeed exclusively. If you can delay bottlefeeding for at least the first six weeks it can make a huge difference. Then ditch the formula & only offer baby breast milk in the bottle. Even a bottle here or there in the first few weeks can throw off breastfeeding. To counter the problem you had with your first son losing weight. Offer your new son the breast every hour to hour & a half. To include hubby is early feedings lay in hubbies arms while you hold baby & breastfeed. Good Luck!!!!!
    ocielee

Answer by ocielee at 10:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• WOW thanks so much for your reply-- I am so proud of you a 33 week preemie, I hope he is doing well. With Gavin I was on bedrest for 6months in the hospital because I had a placenta abruption. He is a very healthy 4 year old now but wow the stress that puts on you with all the worry. I wish you all the luck in the world with BF and thank you so much for the great advice. 5 more weeks to go and our little one will be here, I can't wait!!!
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• First, do not supplement at all. THAT will cause your milk supply to drop, and pumping can not mimic the baby's suckling, and will also cause your supply to drop.

With my 2nd I didn't bring ANY bottles, artificial nipples, formula, etc. into the house- It is YOUR job to nurse the baby, and though dad may like giving him a bottle, there are many, many, many other things he can do to spend time with the baby. Including being close to both of you while you nurse, giving gentle touches, and spending quality time getting to know his little one. INCLUDE him in the process.

Nurse frequently. The absolute best way to ensure your supply is to shove a boob in the baby's mouth every time it cries- they're for more than feeding, they're for comfort too. Even if he isn't suckling for milk (which they do- not actually eating) he'll stimulate you to MAKE milk.
    Recipe for success... Stay hydrated, eat well, do not supplement, nurse often.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Take the Dori from Finding Nemo approach:

Just keep nursing...just keep nursing...just keep nursing...just keep nursing nursing nursing.

I think she said swimming though, lol
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yes he's doing well! i'm glad your son is healthy too. it is very stressful to have to worry about the little ones! :) good luck to you too! :D
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Oh, and I have a Gavin too! I LOVE that name!!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Also, try to BF skin to skin the second he is born. Something about that helps tremendously. And continue at least for the first 6 weeks, to nurse on demand and as long as he wants. All that too leads to great milk production. And the no supplement and not bottle or paci part too. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 AM on Aug. 2, 2010