Can I take my kids to court?

My husband and I have to go to court this week regarding our house that was foreclosed on a couple months ago. We were renting the house and the owner let it go to foreclosure. Now the new bank that has bought it wants us out. We want to take advantage of the Tenants Rights Act of 2009 so we can stay til our lease is up plus 90 days. I'm pretty sure we will win the case but I don't know if bringing our 3 kids (4yr, 1yr and 2months) would help or hurt. We don't have anyone to watch them so if we can't bring them only I would appear in court. But I kinda want my husband there too. And I think having the kids with us would get us some sympathy and show the judge why we need the extra time in the house. What do you think? Or is there some law regarding children in court?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't take the kids to court. Your sympathy card may backfire and it make the judge angry. The kids are not going to want to sit there and be quiet. The judge might find it disrespectful.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 9:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd leave them with someone. If they start to fuss,the proceedings can't go on very well.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If the children can sit quietly and not be disruptive, then I would say you can bring them, but that will be asking a lot of them! Is there a friend or neighbor who can accompany you to the court house, and sit with them outside the court room, while you and your husband are testifying?

I think using them for sympathy is inappropriate. You should only be discussing the actual facts of the case, and not get "emotional"-- not everyone likes children!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If they're old enough to sit reasonably still and not make too much noise, I believe the sympathy card would work. Judges are human too (sometimes!) Best of luck!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I dont know that i would take them. it would show the judge but you can tell the judge. kids just cant sit through boring stuff like that no matter how good they are!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• its very disrespectful to bring kids into the court room. Leave them with your husband and you go to court. Otherwise you may not get the time in the house like you want.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Leave them, it would look unprofessional unless you had another person who could watch them and keep them quiet.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Taking kids to court is not a good idea.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't think it's a good idea to take them to court. It could backfire - the judge could be like "why aren't you shielding your kids from all this worry about getting kicked out until you get it settled" - which could hurt your case.

Or, like you said, it could go well for you in the sense that the judge is sympathetic - but in that case, you can tell him/her about your kids, and that would get the same sympathy, without the risk.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Don't take your kids into court. It's not a good environment for them, and these are adult matters. I doubt that you will get sympathy - you may in fact be frowned upon because kids have no business in a court room.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010