Whats your take on a 16 yr old boy facing murder that was sexually abused his whole life?

I just watched the verdict on a young man only 16 yrs old who was facing murder for the killing of a man who sexually abused him since atleast 5th grade. The day the killing took place the man tried to make another sick attempt on this young man and the child snapped and hit him over the head with a big pickle jar ( I know sounds kind of silly but this is what happend) and then stabbed him 55 times. This child needs help but my husband and I both agree that he did not deserve either one of those punishments but there is the law that he has to face because of the severity of the crime. What do you think? Oh and by the way the verdict was manslaughter not murder which was the best thing for this young man in this case considering those were the only two options. He is facing probabtion to 10 yrs in prison. They will announce this on the 12th of this month.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:30 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it was in self defense and considering how many times he stabbed the man...there was a lot of built of anger and emotion behind it. I think the boy should NOT be charged with murder but they should get him help to deal with everythign that has happend. Not only has he have to face the rest of his life with being a victim of molestation but he has to face life knowing he killed another human being...that in itself would be hard for anyone to deal with, let alone a 16 year old.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• manslaughter yes.. murder no... it was more or less self defense AT FIRST. And then he just took his anger out on him with the stabbing...
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 10:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think that he should be forced to see a therapist. He should be punished, but not in prison. He has gone through HELL for YEARS!! I would feel this angry, as well! IF there were another way for them to punish him, I think they should seek alternative ways. This boy did kill, which is obviously not the job of a man. But, you have to consider what he has been through! Did he seek help, and not get it?
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• He just snapped, he needs a better lawyer. He should of just gotten therapy for a couple of years. It was self defense.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sounds like self defense to me

The boy will need many years of therapy

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Pin a medal on the boy and get him some therapy. Prison will ruin what is left of this young man.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Clearly self defense. The stabbing was due to a lot of anger built up toward that man, not because this poor kid is a homicidal maniac. He needs counseling and a loving family to help him, not prison time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• He did what anyone of us would of done in the same situation. I hate the "law" I wish it was more case by case.. What is right.. He did what was RIGHT!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

Answer by yourspecialkid a minute
    ******************************************
    Pin a medal on the boy? What does that mean? Is that sarcasm or a flawed attempt at humor or are you saying we should rewrad him for killing the guy? What do you mean?
    He is clearly a victim of abuse but kiling him by stabbing him several times was not the moral thing for him to do. He need lots of help. But...he did kill someone. No matter how horrible the abuser was, he did kill him.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sounds like self defense to me. It sounds like he just snapped instead of being premeditated. If women can get away with killing their husbands due to constant abuse then this poor child should be able to. He deffinetely should get some counsiling(SP?) and maybe some time in a mental ward but other than that he was just protecting himself
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2010