For women who don't see their hubbys/SO for a week or longer...

My hubby works away during the week and comes home on weekends. I stay home and raise our two girls and when hes away I miss him alot and wish he'd be here more to help out and spend time with me... But this causes arguements between us so we dont talk about much. What should I do to keep me from missing him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• My DH was in the Air Force and he was away a lot of the time...he had two one year remote tours . I had our second child when he was in Thailand during the Vietnam war. And when he was in the USA, he went on TDY's all the time. He was home maybe a half of the year. You become very independent and capable and you begin to wonder why you ever felt lonsesome...Haha. My kids kept me so busy and friends and household tasks, bill paying, car maintenance,etc. No family near to help so you do it youself.
    You will be fine. I missed my DH but I didn't fall apart.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My goodness of course you should miss him. I find the problem with this situation (I have been in it) is getting used to the routine. When my husband is gone he calls me during the day or at my bed time. He keeps connected with me. I tell him I miss him, I always mention how much I want to have sex with him. Then he misses me more. It makes the connection when he comes home less traumatic.
    We used to fight b/c he would come in and try to change how I operated the house hold. I was the boss and then the new boss walked in trying to take over for what he had been missing. It was a night mare. The thing is the sex talk or texting made him feel a connection not like he was missing out on anything. Hope this makes sense to you. Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I really don't think there is away to make you stop missing him so much. All you can do is keep your self busy with your family, house, work if you work. When you tell him you miss him, tell him just that. Don't go into detail of oh I miss you helping out at home or I wish you were home more. Just telling them " I miss you" and leaving it at that may help. Sometimes all it takes is just saying that and leaving it alone. When my husband is deployed I keep myself busy so I don't find myself setting alone thinking about him. When he comes home I continue on with what I've always done.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You're going to miss him. BUT - what I've found helps is this:
    Accept that he's not there, and that you're going to miss him, but you're still going to live life. Go to the park, go to dinner or a movie with friends, have a bbq, etc. He's still going to be gone, and you're still going to miss him, but it's going to make the time go faster. Because sitting around, staring at the clock and resenting that he's gone is just going to make you and him nuts and miserable - and it's not going to make him gone any less time.

Make a point when he is home to spend some one on one time - like, every other Friday is date night.

Things like that can help :-)

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• As military wife, I have found that during a long leave period, you need to keep in touch, and talk, and try to understand each other! You should never keep yourself from missing him, he really should be more supportive of your emotions! It hard for some men to be emotional...so give him time, and talk!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• get a hubby. do something that interest you and that you can focus on while he is gone. my dh is deployed and to take my mind off missing him i started working out more
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 9:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• *hobby
    3xangel