What age are you supposed to breastfeed/formula feed a baby until?

When did you start mixing formula/breastmilk with regular milk? When did you start giving your baby just regular milk?
thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never mixed. Straight milk at 1 yr. Whole milk until 2 yrs then 2%
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• They say to start cows milk at 12 months but I 100% disagree. I am a nursing mom but even for those that are fomula feeding I would still give them formula well after 12 months for the health benefits.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If formula fed,stop at 12 months,go to whole milk. Breastfed kids go until both mom and kid decide to stop. Its up to momwhether its at the breast or expressed in a cup.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i never mixed either. the pedi said just to make the switch when he turned 12 months. we didnt have a problem- he accepted it without any fussing out of a sippy cup. at that time we got rid of all bottles. he's been on milk for 2 weeks now and he's doing greayt!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• The WHO recommends breastfeeding to at least two years. At the very least breasmilk/formula to 1 year. After a year you don't have to substitute cow milk as long as there is adequate fat and protein in the diet from food , and the only liquid needed is water. cow milk is convenient but not necessry. some use goat milk, rice milk or almond milk.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My kids were both off formula aroun 12-14 months.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can introduce cows milk at 12 months. and still breastfeed if you want.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:59 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Formula can stop anytime after 12 months. Never have to mix and your baby doesn't have to have cow milk. It's intended for cow babies anyway.
    Breastfeeding can go on until your child decides to stop. Most kids stop before 5 anyway. And all the health organizations say at least nurse for 2 years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• breastfeed until both of you want to. formula until you want and or afford it. i breast fed until 4 months then switched to formula and since they were both eating everything under the sun by 10 months they went to whole milk. the doc says whole at 12months but i didnt have any problems and they actully seemed to do better stomach wise.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started cows milk at 12 months and breast fed both my children until they were 24 months. Its really up to mom and kid.
    Kia02

Answer by Kia02 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2010