How do i wean a 28 month old?

My ds is still breastfeeding mostly at naptime, before bedtime & throughout the night. I have never been able to handle the cold turkey cry it out thing. I have kicked him out of my bed & he will get up come to my door knocking & crying to come nurse so we are back to co sleeping. I need to go back on antidepressants & I would prefer to wean him than expose him to the meds especially since we have met & exceeded our BF ing goals. No bashers please i have heard it all before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I stopped BFing my two children when they were 24 months( dd is 5 now and ds is 27month now). I was successful by replacing that time with story time. It was a rough two weeks I'll tell you that and I often felt like caving in but instead stood my ground and now my 27 month old isnt interested in nursing at all. I continously told him during the transition time that he is a big biy. I didnt stop co sleeping uring the transition time so it wouldnt be too much change for him at that time. I did how ever wear two tight tanks so he could break in and help him self to a night time feeding...im sure you know what I mean. LOL... keep us posted about your progress. hugs...
    Kia02

Answer by Kia02 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Just think what is best for the child and than you will be able to wean. At this age cold turkey is the best.

Better learn how to be firm now, because things will get worse.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• eliminate 1 feed per week, the easist ones during the day first. also consult dr hale's book and forums to check your meds. it may ease your mind once you know the facts about its effect if any in lactation. he is the guru of lactation and meds. that way you can overlap weaning and meds. you can also wear yor baby, he may nap without nursing if he rides while you do chores. you may find he may nurse less automatically if he gets close contact by being carried. you can also check ot dr jay gordon for weaning and the family bed
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• A 2 yr old should not be getting nighttime feedings of ANY kind. Back off to just before bedtime,then every other day,etc.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010