When did you start your baby on cereal and baby food?

My little girl will be 4 months on the 12th but Im wanting to hold off givig her anything untill shes 5 months cuase nursing her seems to be all she needs right now. Once I start her on cereal, how long do I wait to start her on veggies, fruits and meats? I know your only supposed to do one thing at a time for a few days but can I go from cereal a few days to introducing veggies?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters ped said I can start rice cereal now, and nothing else until she is 6 months.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started my daughter at 4 months. I never put the cereal in her bottle, though. I mixed it with breast milk, and spoonfed her about a tablespoon. That seemed to satisfy her.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started at 6 months. Cereal isn't even necessary. You can do either veggies or fruit to start-I reccomend veggies first- and meat starting at 9 months.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My son was 6 months~I started him on rice cereal.About a month later, I started him on a veggie, I mixed it in with his rice cereal..he seemed to like it like that. I waitied about 3-4 days before introducing a new one. By 10 months..it was a free-for-all..the boy LOVED to eat,lol.He was trying all kinds of new stuff by that time.
    My daughter was just under 6 months and I started her on rice cereal..which she only ate for like 2 weeks and never liked it again and she didnt like ANY baby food,lol. By 7 months, I was giving her regular table food cut up really small..like veggies and fruit, mashed potatoes and stuff/
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started cereal at 4 months. then around 6 months I started jar food. Introducing a new food every 3-4 days. The reason for that is to see if they have a food allergy. And if you feed them more than 1 food at a time, you might not know which food they were allergic too. At around 8 months I put a little cereal in the 2nd stage foods to thicken them up a bit. My now 10 month isn't satisfied with jar food, and prefers table food. Formula/Breast milk is the main source of nutricion up to 1 year. They are really just practicing with jar food using there gums/ teeth to chew.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Back in the olden days...hehe...we started babies eating cereal and fruit and baby food much earlier. The pediatricians believed that the earlier they ate baby food the better it was for the babies. It helped avoid food allergies. And I bottle fed two kids and breast fed one. !967-1971. They did turn out really well , very healthy, college graduates, families of their own, and none of them have food allergies.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No ceeal, it tastes terrible and is hard to digest. the added iron also constipates and interferes with the absrbable iron in breastmilk. 6 months is the recommendation. it is about the tim babies can sit up unassisted, have lost the tongue thrust reflex, have the ability to move food with the tongue, make chewing motions, and can grab food. This signals the beginnings of digestive maturity. You never need jars or purees. Easy foods to start with are avocado, butternut squash, sweet potato, ripe pear, and banana (not to much banana as it can be binding). You don't have to do one thing at a time, unless allergies run in your family or you are giving a common allergen food like strawberries. Be careful of citrus only because they are acidic and can cause a minor contact rash or acidic poo. It's not that you can't give them, just be dilligent. You can give just about anything. I chose not to give dairy
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Cereal isn't necessary and because their guts are not mature...it is best to wait until at least 6 months to give them any food. Food before one is for fun. Not nourishment BM has all the nutrients your child needs and because of that, your child can even go until 12 months with strict nursing. I prefer to wait until the child can sit unassisted ans can pick up soft chunk and feed themselves. You can skip purees and spoon feeding and they are guaranteed to have a mature gut.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• meat or fish. All of which are harder to digest, plus I've got a minor milk allergy.

Other than that anything goes...asparagus, beets, persimmon, kiwi, guacamole, blueberries, peas,hummus, beans... Especially when a baby has a good pincer grip the sky is the limit. Let the baby self feed. They regulate their own intake, and the bonus is that you get to eat with two hands :)

I suggest this Baby led introduction to solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started my boys on rice cereal at 4 months and and only really intoduced solids from 6 months on.
    NatalievdV

Answer by NatalievdV at 10:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2010