How can I get my daughter to start using words instead of demanding through yelling ooh ooh?

MeganMack

Asked by MeganMack at 7:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All three of my boys did this as well.
    Try giving her just one word to say when she wants something. Like if she wants a drink and she says, "Uhh Uhh" or "Ooh Ooh". You say, "Use your words. Say CUP." Hold the cup in front of her and repeat the word. If she even tries a little bit to form the word cup, clapp your hands and make it a BIG deal, praising her, and then hand her the cup. If she just yells her normal sounds - don't give it to her.
    I still do this with my almost 5 year old twin boys and my 2 year old boy. If they want something, they have to say, "please mom can I have my cup?" (or for my 2 year old: cup mama? please?)
    Hope this helps! Best wishes to you from a mom whose been there :)
    maureen-3boys

Answer by maureen-3boys at 8:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When my youngest son went for speech therapy at 3--the first thing we were told is that his older sister-6-had to stop "talking" for him and he had to use his words:-) I am also a big believer in teaching simple ASL (sign language) signs to children while they are developing their spoken language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• thru modeling and motivation
    start out modeling the right word. after youve done this for a while, like a month or so of consistant modeling, let her know she will have to ask for it by name or she can't have it. hten stick to it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My son did not say a word till he was 3! Both of my boys had speach therapy......... they came to the house once a week and medicaid pays for it and if you do not have medicaid the first six months are free... look up EASTER SEALS if you don't have one look up speach therapy.
    SurpriseMeX3

Answer by SurpriseMeX3 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2008