Teaching Kids Season/Months?

I am looking at season/month teaching ideas online & I noticed that they break the months/seasons like this:
Winter: Jan/Feb/March.....Spring: April/ May/ June......
Summer: July/Aug/Sep......Autumn: October/Nov/Dec

(so December is Autumn?! And June is considered Spring?)

I thought more along the lines of:
Winter was December/Jan/Feb.....Spring:March/April/May.....
Summer: June/July/August.......Autumn: Sept/Oct/Nov

Im in texas BTW. so really summer is like April.May.June.July.Aug.Sept.Oct!

So how would you teach your kids the seasons?
By the books? Or how we view the seasons around us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I teach both. I teach her that what the calendar says is what it is, but that it feels like something else.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would teach both the solar calendar (equinoxes and solstices), and what the seasons are by the weather.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:18 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We home school and have always just mentioned the seasons by notable changes in weather and appearance or disappearance of animals and birds as they happened. For themselves they have picked up that these things happen roughly over a certian month or two and cover a whole year. Using months to mark out seasons can be confusing if we don't point outidepends where you live in the world. For example in Australia, Summer pretty much starts in June and ends in August. The opposite to me in the UK. I wouldn't use months as guide to teaching seasons as such but stick to true physical changes.
    Me.

Answer by Me. at 11:18 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well Summer starts June 22 and Winter starts December 21. So technically, the info you found is right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• well the solstices and equinoxes (when the seasons actually change) is towards the ends of march, june, september, and december. I say march is spring, june is summer, september is fall, and december is winter. I live in arizona so i totally understand summer being 2/3 of the year!
    I start to show the changes outside as soon as they become visable and we'll go visit some place where the fall leaves actually change and then where it snows to show the dramatic effects of the changing seasons

Technically I don't think either way you described is wrong because part of those months is the season before and part is the next season. Just have fun with it!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think everybody will probably agree with the way you thought the months should be divided. Although when you look at the official dates of the seasons changing, I think you will find that the majority of the months in question are placed according to that date. I hope that made sense to you?? Also, there is a difference in location and I would not hesitate to teach the actual seasons according warmth and cold and so forth with where you live. This will also help teach some of the climate aspects of your region in relation to their months.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yeah the first day of summer is technically on the Summer Solstice which is generally June 20-21st. Seeing it's the end of June and you want to make the month/season simple you would say the first month of summer is July, seeing most of June is BEFORE the Summer Solstice. The same is true when it comes to the winter! The winter solstice, which marks the first day of winter, is NOT until Dec 20-21. So again seeing the winter solstice is NOT until the End of December it's easier to say the first month of winter is January, seeing MOST of the month Dec is BEFORE the winter solstice. Also 4 season, 12 months, math wise it breaks down to about 3 months per season. Of course we most likely will have snow before the winter solstice and summer like weather before the summer solstice, seeing nature doesn't follow a calendar. However, technically speaking the seasons don't start until those respective solstice accrue.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2010