Have you gone "green" in your home yet?

Special lightbulbs for savings energy, energy star appliances, new water efficent toilets,etc. So far I've only purchased energy star appliances since they make good sense to use them based on their ability to use less electricity.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• All major appliances are Energy Star. The Hot Water tank is on a timer. Toilets are all low water. We compost. We recycle all glass number 1 and 2 plastics, paper (cardboard, paperboard, magazines, newspapers, mailers), and cans.
    We use a "solar dryer" - clothes line - on sunny days. CF bulbs in all places that can use them. Powerstrips on all electronics that get turned off when they aren't in use.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We do whatever we can afford to be green.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We recycle, recycle, recycle..... It's amazing how much is recyclable now!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We have a garden and a compost bin. I use a clothesline instead of a dryer all summer for everything. we put 1 quart milk jugs full of water in the toilet tanks to cut down on water usage. At night we unplug the surge for the computer and big screen. In winter, we like to use hurricane lamps / candles for most of our lighting, but not if the kids are running around like maniacs - I let'em do it in the dark :-)
    Most of these changes are due to reduction in income, I'd love to say it's because we've "gone green", but really it's because I lost my job in February and dh and I decided it's time for me to stay home and be a mom for once. Now I regret the 22 years I worked while other people raised my two oldest!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 1:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• didn't do it on purpose or anything but when we moved 2 years ago, all the appliances we bought -stove, fridge, washer & dryer- we bought the green ones.
    I do use the shopping bags. At first I though they would be a hassle but OMG those bags are so much better than plastic! Easier to carry, easier to put in the trunk, and it takes less bags to put all the groceries in!
    I do get those swirly light bulbs, but honestly can't tell a bit of difference as far as my power bill or how long they last.
    I also recycle but not only started to reduce the amount of trash in the actual trash can.
    I also make my own laundry detergent which is actual considered green apparently.

I'm one of those strange people that accidentally went green ;o) So going green isn't hard to do or anything.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We are always trying to improve our family's impact on the environment. We use reusable instead of disposable products, buy high quality items with little packaging, eat local foods as much as we can including raising our own, conserve water and energy, recycle, compost, etc.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We have switched to all green cleaning products and we use CFL light bulbs throughout our house. We also put in a programmable thermostat.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes,I think so.I have lots of green plants.I have a really coolgreen fountain that sits on my entertainment center.I have a couple of green picture frames & I have a green chair in my garage.I have a really ugly green comforter.& my hubby is wearing a green shirt.Am I green enough?Hey...I'm sorry but I just couldn't help myself.I Know what you mean & no we haven't but probably should.Have a great day!!!!!!
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have switched my home and personal care products to green - and I have saved money - the products are very eco-friendly, highly concentrated and work great - and...they are delivered to my home :-)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes to all that. Recycle, all reusable bags, and soon solar panels.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010