Difficult sleeper?

How old is your baby/toddler and how do you get them to sleep when they just won't go?

jmaldonado

Asked by jmaldonado at 11:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 2 and a half year old and usually if he doesn't want to sleep i let him lay on the couch and watch a movie with the lights off and he shortly falls asleep. Or we lay in my bed and read stories together till his eyes start to close.
    kellyhanson140

Answer by kellyhanson140 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my youngest is 11 months and I have to rock her to sleep. my 2yr old is very good at going to sleep on her own.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I had, at one point, even resorted to putting my DD in the stoller and going for a walk .... even at 12:30 in the moring!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:50 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 2 yo goes to sleep just fine - staying asleep is a different story. he gets up between 3-6 times a night (he sleeps from 930 pm to 730 am like clockwork, with a 2 hr nap at 2pm). He doesn't wake up at naptime, but bedtime- good lord! He wakes up asking for a drink/ fix his blankie/ make sure I'm still there. Sometimes I just yell through the wall "go to sleep, I'm still here" and he will, but if you try to ignore him the whole house knows it!
    My 16 yo son sleeps like a rock, so I just tell myself "14 more years, only 14 more years and I can sleep through the night" lol
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 1:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• A healthy lifestyle is a good start. Babies and kids who get plenty of physical activity and healthy (low sugar, no caffeine) type foods will sleep better. Then its a matter of consistency. A consistent bedtime routine and consistent reactions to night wakings. Unless my daughter is outright screaming (bad dream, hurt type screams) she is on her own to work it out and go back to sleep. She does fine. Occasionally she doesn't nap during the day but it is always on a low key day when she didn't get much activity in the morning.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010