my son will be 4 in Dec. and refuses to go #2

He pee's in the potty just fine and can go all night with no accidents. I have tried everything. I've tried letting him wear underwear (that got to expensive), no underwear, moving his potty to different spots, promising him a new toy, ice cream, stickers.....no luck. I kept him in underwear for 2 days and nothing (no bowel movement) but as soon as I put on a pull-up he went and hid behind his door and did his thing. After that I let up off of him and didn't mention anything about pooping in the potty and just praising him on peeing in the potty. He will sit on the potty and I always give him a sticker for trying. But he just doesn't seem to care if there's poop in his pants. Any suggestions?

snpratt77

Asked by snpratt77 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he like candy or fruit snacks? I bribed my boys to poop in the potty (they didn't want to do it either) with 10 pieces of candy every time they went poopie in the potty. I also did not put underware or a pull up on at all because they too would poop in that instead. Within two days they were both doing it great, and enjoying their treats.
    Hope this helps... :)
    maureen-3boys

Answer by maureen-3boys at 9:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i KNOW this sounds strange but he will do it in his own time dont pressure him my 4.5 yr old just started going
    momof2boys189

Answer by momof2boys189 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• He may just not be ready. I understand the frustration...my son was exactly the same. He didn't start pooping in the potty until he was almost 4. I started thinking he would never do it. But I started keeping track of the times he pooped. They say that if they poop on a schedule they are ready. In my son's case he would poop at naptime and bedtime. (which is when he would wear a pull up). So, we put him on the potty before nap time and before bedtime. We would sit there are read books and talk. Finally...after a long time, he finally did it.

Really, they are not going to do it until they are ready. And the more they feel pressured the longer they will take. Make it as fun as possible and try not to let him see your frustration. Good Luck.
    Zaranie

Answer by Zaranie at 9:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• He will go when he is ready I know it is a battle my son was over 4 he went preschool and stayed in underwear at preschool and did fine but as soon as he got home he hid in a corner and pooed in his pants he didnt care if it was in underwear or not. but like I said when he finally did it it was his idea not mine. and yes he was probably 4.5yr old. now my dd was trained before she turned 3 so it is totally up to the child.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008