6 year old boys......

My son just turned 6 and he is high functioning autistic. Majority of the time I think the way he is behaving is really him just being a typical 6 year old boy. BUT I don't know how a typical 6 year old boy behvaes :) He is my first child, so I haven't experienced it before.

Anyway, I was just wondering what are some of the behaviors and emotions your 6 year old boy is having now, so I can gather an idea of what is common for this age.
Thank you!

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 11:45 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our 6 yr old son is a happy, content little boy. He loves rocks, dinosaurs, baseball, video games, the trampoline, swimming in our pool, say's funny stuff all the time. He's snuggly with me, like's to hang out in his jammies on rainy days. He has a temper when it comes to his brothers, he's quiet, but when they make him mad he's not afraid to stick up for himself. I'm not really sure what behavior you're asking about. He's just your typical 6 yr old boy, I just happen to think he's the the coolest 6yr old boy I know....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:50 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My son is 10 now. When he was 6..he was a bit crazy,lol. (still is at times, really). He had a hard time focusing in class...he has always been one to try to be the center of attention and the class clown. He was (and still is) really good at math but took him awhile to catch on to the concept of reading, and he still doesnt care for it much even though he now knows how. He had to repeat the first grade because of it. HE has been diagnosed with "distruptive behavior disorder"..lol..I think they just like to put a name onto stuff when they figure out that they really can't diagnose with ADD or Autism or something like those. He was always a friendly,outgoing kid,a little on the rough side,not bullyish at all..just like when he would give a hug he had to run and ram his entire body into you lol,we always figured he'd be a football player.Ran like the wind,played like no tomorrow,climbed trees.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• he acts normal to me..sometimes he mouths off, he is very loving and sweet, smart..he shows empathy towards others, he is silly at home with me but he knows to behave in public and he has always known this. He has never thrown any kind of tantrum. he is a little sensitive if a kid were to hit him. He doesnt like the idea of fighting. he is a sweet boy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My firstborn is high functioning Autistic/Asperger's and it has been hard because I never knew what normal was until I had more kids and it is hard. When she was 6 her social skills did not exist the way they do in a normal 6 yr old. She is 23 and it kills me that she tries so hard to be normal and other girls her age are married with children and she hasn't even been kissed.
    My son is almost 6 yrs old and he likes running,jumping,doing the risk taking things that boys do, he laughs alot, likes to fish and camp, loves to play with other boys, won't go to a park unless there is kids there. He's reading a little and doing math but acts like coloring and painting is going to kill him, lol, he likes being busy, he loves Star wars & legos then build Star wars spacships and going to movies then spending the next day talking all about it. He is very assertive, but no temper or attitude problems.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have 3 boys, ages 9, 6, and almost 3. They are all very different. My older 2 boys are good kids, but they fight, argue, and get angry sometimes. My oldest is much more sensative than my 6yr. old and will break down and cry about things. My little one is more shy and quiet than my older two. He would be the one sitting back and watching the others play before joining in. My older two are into Star Wars and computer games. They like to play outside in the sandbox and ride bikes. My 6yr. old has more of a temper than the others, but on the other hand he is very sweet and helpful as well. He loves to help with the baby. He likes school. He likes sports.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Has he been diagnosed as autistic?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yes, he has been diagnosed, but I'm wondering why you ask?
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010