How do you all discipline your 3 year olds?

Just looking for something that will work for my 3 year old daughter. Any suggestions would be great!

sagesmom724

Asked by sagesmom724 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The time-out chair works wonders for my 4 yr old dd, has since she was 2.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Time out works here also.. but sometimes so does a spanking. Just depends on what went wrong. :O)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 11:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I spanked mine, and they all turned out to be fine adults.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• kind of depends on what she did. like the other day she broke a bunch of her crayons so we took them away along with her coloring books. if she backtalks or something like that she gets a spanking. anything else she gets a time out.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I put her in time-out.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It depends on what they did. I always try to have consequences that have something to do with what they did wrong.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• sometimes i spank, sometimes time outs, sometimes all he needs is a nap. just depends on the situation but mostly he's a great kid
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Re-directing is always my first attempt. If that doesn't work, we use the "choices" option which for us means saying things like "you can have milk but not juice, or you can have nothing at all, it's your choice". This works great for my 3 year old and he usually will compromise. If the first 2 don't work, I move to time-out.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sometimes with the crayon thing is to only let her color supervised,time outs are good as long as they are working for you.My dd makes my granddaughter memorize the rules daily,this way,there's no saying,i forgot,lol
    TootieFruitie

Answer by TootieFruitie at 1:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can withhold what is truly important to her. Every child has something they just cannot "live" without. It is their currency. Give her a warning that this will happen if she doesn't do what you are asking. Then take it away for an appropriate length of time. (the younger the child the shorter the time). You have to follow through and you have to be consistent for it to work. Dr Phil's discipline book on this is supposedly very good. Good Luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010