Has anyone been given terbutaline sulfate to stop contractions ?

ok last night I went tyo L&D to check and see if my water was leaking they never told me yes or no but they said my braxton hicks contractions were regular and I couldn't leave till they stopped ok so the nurse came in said she was going togive me a shot to make thecontractions stop hurting she said it was pain killer I was just like ok my heart rate went up way up it felt like I couldn't stop shaking ! and the contraction never stopped hurting they gave me 2 shots of this stuff that I can't figure outb/c everythign I find says it's only approved to treat asthma ! please tell me someone knows what this is ! but the contractions finally got back to being irregular and they sent me home on bedrest !

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• hi mama. i'm so sorry this happened to you. i went into labor at 33 weeks and faced a similar situation.

nurses/doctors should always tell you the REAL purpose of the drug. so it sounds like they were giving you the drug to try to stop contractions, but they were telling you it was a pain killer??? that is WRONG. they should tell the truth. i was given procardia to try to stop the ctx. BUT they just handed me 3 pills and told me to take them and i asked "um what is this and what is it for" they just answered that it was to "calm me down"! so i said well what does that mean? what are the side effects? then the dr got pretty much belligerent because i was questioning him. turns out the drug's purpose was to try to stop the ctx and i was lied to like you were! grrr. anyway my labor continued on and my son was born quickly thereafter. i am currently writing a letter of complaint for how i was treated because it's my
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry this has happened to you. You don't say how far along you are. Go to google and put in the name of the drug and labor. There are some serious problems with this drug and I don't want to be the one to tell you. It is better you find out on your own.

There is another drug that can be used for preterm labor, there are problems with it too. I would not let them use the drugs until there was no other choice. You may have been at that point. I don't know I wasn't there. If they needed to stop your contractions they weren't BH, they were the real deal.

Any pain med can have side effects for you and for the baby. You may want to do a crash course on natural childbirth so you can avoid meds. You can find lots of info online. If money isn't an issue you could hire a doula.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• oh I am 32 weeks 3 days today I'm going to google though thanks
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There isn't evidence to back the recommendation for bedrest to prevent preterm labor. If you do some searches you will find this out. Doctors tell women to do this because doctors have always told women to do this and it is what's called "the standard of care". Medicine is switching from standard of care practice to evidence based practice but it hasn't made it to OB yet.

When I was told to be on bed rest I modified my activities. I didn't lift anything heavy (10 lbs) or do house work. I did some cooking and took care of my 2 other children. I didn't go out of the house alone and minimized going out of the house at all. I never went into labor and ended up being induced (my life was in danger).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Don't panic now that you have read the bad things about the drugs. It's important to make it to 36 weeks. At that age the baby's lungs may be developed. The baby may not have to go to the NICU and may be able to go home with you. I

f you are going to have your baby early it's important to give birth at a hospital that has a NICU and that the NICU is on the same floor as OB. Some hospitals don't have NICUs and they transfer your baby to another hospital by ambulance or helecopter. You are stuck in one hospital and your baby is in another. If the hospital and doctor you have been going to doesn't have these then just go to a better hospital when you are in labor.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• strong opinion that a doctor should always tell you exactly what drug is being offered, the intended purpose, and any possible side effects.

feel free to private message me if you want to ask questions about my preemie. he is 3 mos old now and perfectly healthy but had 26 days in the NICU :(
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i agree with what gaill said btw, and i was transferred during my labor to another hospital that had an equipped nicu. GL!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• hun. I was I have been in labor non stop since I was 5 months preggo and have constantly had to terbutaline shot. I have also been on bed rest since then which has been since April. I personally hate the way it makes me feel...like you said shaky and your heart rate goes up (which happens to everyone) My doc had me on Procardia for pre-term contractions and those helped. Thankfully now I am full term and just waiting for this baby to pop out. There is no evidence that Terbutaline is not safe. My doc said it doesnt even touch the baby. And be thankful you only had two. everytime I've ever gone I've had 4. I also have not completely been on bed rest b/c I have a 4 year old at home. I do stay on the couch most of the day, unless to cook or go to the bathroom. My son is amazingly well behaved. Good luck to you and you DO NOT!!!!! want to have your baby early. Wait till you get to 36 weeks when he/she is safe.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 12:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm finding so many things now lol but my hospital has a nicu on a different floor but I can get on the elevator and go down and be right there ! I don't understand why they said it was pain killer though my contractions really weren't hurting they were just irritating I don't know anything right now I'm going to see my dr on friday and ask the hospital here is a little weird this is the second time I have been in and they always seem to skip over things before I went for contractions they never checked my cervix and sent me home saying that nothing was wrong but my contractions were every 3 mins and didn't stop till I had been back home for hours this time I went in to check to see if my water was leaking and they treated me for contrations and never said yes or no about my water this is the only hospital close to my house the next one s 2 1/2 hours away so I guess I'll just take my sister with me and my hubby shes a perfecti
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• perfectionist ...
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010