Serious Disconnect in College Students?

NYT: Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/education/02cheat.html

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I teach 7/8th grade English/literature, social studies/history, and science during the day (my prof. job is my second job). I teach both MLA and APA to my junior high students and reinforce the fact that different professors or schools may have different requirements regarding citations and it is the student's responsibility to find out what those preferences are and adapt accordingly. I do allow Internet sources (many educational journals are published online), but they must be cited properly. It is both fair to the original writer and the student conducting research to appropriately cite sources. I have had adult students submit entire theses and only added their own name, then were incensed because I reported them for academic dishonesty--the excuse...the assignment said to do research and this was my research. Some students, at any level, are too lazy, dishonest, and stupid to apply critical thought.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It's another case of common sense not having kept up with technology. The advancements come so quickly it seems like the rest of the world can't (or won't) keep up.

Kids in grade school are taught how to cite sources from the internet, but I was not taught to, (even though it's completely common sense). I'm sure this is a generational gap thing and will soon make it into the curriculum.

Just in time for the next thing to come along.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Citations? How can u xpect them when da yungstaz rite like dis?

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• In my opinion, many people who are accepted in colleges and universities don't belong there.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• As a grad student... I can write a paper without stealing material. I learned the proper citing of sources in 11th grade English. I have had several prof catch students in stealing material. So sad....

My prof also love the fact that when writing said papers...I use books and no internet sources.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• What kind of HS teacher, let alone college prof, would allow the IN as a cited source in a research paper?

All of them. That is part of the accepted MLA and APA standards (see what I mean about nobody keeping up with it?). There are guidelines for citing everything from websites to tv shows and every kind of media in between. You no longer need to open a book to do a research paper. The sources available through EBSCO and other online research libraries are far superior than any library you can walk into anyway. Where the info is located isn't the issue - how students review it for legitimacy and source it is the issue. Any decent 100 level writing course teaches how to tell a fake/unreliable source from a credible/legitimate source. Problem is when they skate through that class like all the others, none of it sinks in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Primary sources is what they expected.

Primary sources are on the internet. Here are the standards for you. Students who don't know how to do net research are at a severe disadvantage in school.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Grace, go back to school and learn something useful.

Listen SchoolMarm, I went to school to be able to make a living.
    Occupational therapists make 65K where I am.

Now I don't have to work.

You teach English, and I really don't think that's very difficult or too terribly involved.

Your salary is what it is because almost anyone could do it.

And my Gosh, how boring..................................................................................................................................................................................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• "Copy and paste" generation! LOL

wink mini

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010