I would like advice on raising a teen boy. It's been tough

proudmomrtp

Asked by proudmomrtp at 12:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Need more info before help can be given.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You really need to give more information in your question, but with our sons we had rules and consequences. We talked about their feelings a lot and how eveything was going with their friends and school. We did activities with them on weekends, watched movies together as a family, coached their sports teams (Dad), and were involved in school activities and volunteering. They knew they could talk to us about anything. Don't know if this helps you at all. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have girls so I can't really help you, but I will say this, I have friends that have boys and one of the best things they do with them is to teach them to respect girls. I have had boys in my home, good kids, but you can just tell they just feel like they are better than girls for what ever reason. I don't know how different it really is to raise boys, (since I don't have any!) But I think with teens of both genders, it is important to set limits and boundaries. We have rules and consequesnces and they know it. They know what is expected of them when they are here, or at a friends house. My 17 yo knows what is expected of her on dates, what is "allowed and not allowed". I just think that if you teach them right from wrong from the beginning that is half the battle. Good luck, and I will say to you what I say to my girl friends with sons, do right by my girls and raise nice men!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Setting expectations and boundaries, rules and consequences and above all TALKING. Don't also just demand and attempt to control, at this age all you'll get is rebellion and pushed away and no parent wants that. Remember that your job is provide support, guidance and protection, not to controll and demand that they be someone they are not. Communication is key, while I still sometimes butt heads with my 15 yr old, its rare because we talk things out getting his side of the issue and talking about mine - 99% of the time we can compromise. I have three rules in my house, Show Respect, Stay Safe and Keep in Touch, they are simple and if they are not followed then I take away the one thing they want most - freedom. Explaining these rules and what they mean are keyf fr them to work.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Raising teen boys isn't any different than raising toddler boys, they just eat more and are louder. Boundaries must still be in place, just because a child goes into double digits doesn't mean that they don't need rules - they need them NOW more than ever.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Consistency, rules and consequences, limits but freedom to learn to be an adult, make choices and learn from mistakes that they will make. Teach that boy how to be a real man. Teach manners, respect and how to treat a woman. Teach about protection and what their body is going through. I keep communication open with my 14 yr old son. I answer all his questions honeslty and openly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It is tough, my son is now 17. What area of parenting a teen boy are you looking for advice on? In general, communication, respect, and firm boundaries are highly important.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:56 AM on Aug. 3, 2010