Does anyone else see it as a problem that kids are spending so much time on the computerand video games and texting on their phones?

What ever happened to creativity? Why does it seem like all of my son's friends want to get on the computer or play video games all the time when they are here. We have bikes, balls, bats, gloves, skateboards, airhockey, you name it. But when they come, that's all they want to do. I realize its the world we live in, but we are losing a lot. No one wants to throw a ball around or put together a bike or look at baseball cards. Its all electronics, all the time, it seems. And kids are growing up way too fast. Why are parents allowing their kids to fall int0 this trap? Creativity is going down the drain. What can be done about it?

sandmama4

Asked by sandmama4 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• they were discussing the affects of texting on teens saying that they will not have enough social interaction face to face and will not know how to handle certain situations that involve reading face cues.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That's why we limit their time. 30 minutes on the computer, and NO cell phones until they have a job to help pay for it. (16)
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I see this all around. My kids are different. The 6 yr old down the street is very skilled at video games...my 5 yr old has no idea what a game system is! My kids go and do with me all the time, my teens included. My teen girls have phones and text a lot, but that is the only vice they have, and they still ride bikes and we have a pool so they swim etc. I say it is the parents. If you keep them busy then you don't have this problem. My kids know the value of a sunset, a garden, a peach plucked from a tree, a cut out cookie, a walk in the woods, a cozy fire and family time! Life can be great!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• just dont allow it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well, up until the age of 14, my son was an outside imagination using kid. He now spends alot of time on the computer, but, it isn't just playing games...he spends time on there making a website, an answer forum, he has learned minor programming, and some light hacking on an online game to where he can act as admin. LOL He also researches many topics he wants to learn about. So, I am not really worried about him spending time on the computer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't mind the video games. Although, i do put a time limit on it. many studies show that video games are actually good for the brain, not vice versa. TV is a bit more mind numbing IMO. I was born in 1982, when video games were just becoming popular. By the time i was 6, i was head into video games all the time. Although, i was still the out-doorsey type. Video games got boring after playing too long & nothing seemed more fun than playing kick the can in the evening as the sun was setting. I think parents have a lot to do with it these days. I think they allow their kids to sit in front of the TV/vidoe games too long because they are quiet doing so. I will allow my DD a certain amount of time staring at the TV/video games. But, i always MAKE HER go outside to play. I also give her crafts to do. she never wants to do them, but once she starts she loves it. The parents are the ones who need to get the kids outside.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I cannot believe it either! A little girl that my dd plays with is getting her own cell phone at the age of 8! That is so crazy to me! I would not let my dd have one until (as someone mentioned it earlier) she can help pay for it. Even then it will most likely be the one that included the tracking device in it!
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I see it with our nieces and nephews! I am SOOO glad when my girls were young that cell phones were just coming out for the most part as was computers for home usage.Though,I limited the time they spent online(an hour a day!) when we finally did get a computer,it was a tug of war and me always saying" I am the ADULT here" I think cell phones are not necessary unless that child is involved with sports /school activities OR working! I also believe parents need to monitor all of their kids online activities(and YES,they have private programs that show you EVERYTHING they do) and limit that time also. What is the big deal with limiting and watching what they do?? NOTHING..it is your right as a PARENT.Its too bad more parents didn't care enough to do this because I believe you would find more kids enjoying the OUTDOORS and doing things that were productive just because they do not like being monitored and they would want that!
    XoTwinsMomoX

Answer by XoTwinsMomoX at 12:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it's up to the parents to have set times and stick to what they say.We have time periods that they can play their DSL's or WII or watch T.V. these are all privledges so they must behave in order to play with them, & then in moderation .We have a back yard & we make them go outside every day.Even when they don't want to it's fun when they get outside and start moving.... in my younger days I LOVED playing outside & exploring in the woods or taking a walk with a friend around the block. Climbing trees.We used to get the kids around the block together to play ball and hide & seek or other games I think it's STILL important for them to interact these ways as well.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with what all of the parents here have said. I do limit times on the computer and TV, and my children do play outside every day,and we do lots of activities together as a family, and all four of my children are involved in sports.
    Trouble is, I feel like I'm in the minority in the town I live in. All of the kids around are electronics nonstop, and lately my son has felt "left out" because I limit him on the stuff we do have and he doen't have a cell phone or ipod......I wish more parents out there could see what their children are mising out on, what is being replaced by electronics....kick the can, uno, hiking, biking, building forts, etc.....and what kind of adults will they become if they are so addicted to electronics now? Even when these things are limited, most kids I've seen can't wait for their hour of "having to play outside" is over so they can get back in and get in front of the screen again.
    sandmama4

Comment by sandmama4 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010