Has anyone been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia?

If yes, how was the cause of Fibromyalgia explained to you?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Health

• Everything that I have been researching shows that it is probably genetic and is 'activated' by a major change in your life. I haven't been diagnosed with it yet but I am being treated as if I have it. I eat relatively healthy and exercise every day. I tried diet changes and couldn't get the pain to go away and just couldn't deal with it so I recently started on some meds. I hate having to take meds daily but I love feeling normal again.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have never heard what caused it to happen, I do believe it is Genetic though and that would explain it for me..
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I believe it's a fake disease made up by the pharmaceutical companies. Anyone who treats their body like crap, does not drink water, eats fast food every day & does not exercise can be diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It's a cop out disease for people who treat their bodies like crap. My SIL eats candy all day, lives off of McDonald's & chik-fil-A, is an alcoholic & is as lazy as a human can get. Well, she has just been diagnosed with it. Yeah...right, as if her symptoms have NOTHING to do with the fact that her body is starving for water, nutrients & exercise. Just another way for the FDA, pharmaceuticals & insurance companies to make an extra buck.

You will never meet a person living a healthy lifestyle who has it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was diagnosed when I was 15. However they had been testing and looking for issues for years prior to that. It wasn't really ever explained to me. In fact my doctor said he didn't believe it even exists, he only diagnosed me so I could get help & treatments. However, since then I have seen quite a few doctors, homeopathic doctors and done the research that goes with having these issues. Both my doctor and my homeopathic doctor believe that Fibromyalgia and similar conditions (lupus & others) are caused by damage to the nerves and/or immune system during early life. My M.D. is convinced it's a side effect of child hood vaccines. However, on a medical community level, I don't think they really have a cause figured out yet... I've heard different things from different doctors...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• samurai_chica... I think you are highly undereducated... I live (and lived when I was a child) a healthy lifestyle... I've never been medicated for my condition, nor do I ever plan to be. I treat my issues with dietary changes and healthy lifestyle changes... But it doesn't change the fact that I have Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue... Exercise, Fruits & Veggies and a diet low in white sugar and flour is a huge thing for me. I don't eat junk, I don't even like most of it... When I was diagnosed I was 130lbs of mussel and swam a half mile a day 5 days a week... Again, it didn't stop me from having this issue.

Fibromyalgia is by far not a fake condition. Although it is something which can be helped with a healthy lifestyle, it's not going to be stopped or cured that way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• In my case, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. It was explained to me that someone who goes thru long term mental and physical abuse can have Fibromyalgia due to stress which can cause extreme tension of the muscles. It was a physician who diagnosed me and explained this to me. I do not have a severe case of Fibromyalgia and have actually been able to improve areas of my Fibromyalgia with making improvements in my already healthy lifestyle (this included getting out of an abusive marriage and by no longer dwelling on my upbringing).

However, thru new television commercials regarding new medication, it seems as though Fibromyalgia is still an unknown disease to which is being portrayed differently than what was explained in my situation. I think there could be many causes for this disease.
    marchar2002

Comment by marchar2002 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm not highly undereducated. That was grossly rude of you to assume. My sister & her husband are nutritionists & this was their explanation about it. Lots of people come to her with "fibromyalgia" looking for help. Could be that they are totally wrong, or that these people are misdiagnosed, but she seems to be very helpful with patients who claim they have it, just by changing their diet. I am not the only one though who believe this. Google it you will find people with similar views.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• samurai_chica, yes you are uneducated about FMS. OP mine was caused from injuries from a serious car accident. The causes can be from anything things in the environment, to mental stress, physical stress, there are many, many causes everyone is different. I fortunately got better after children, I still have some areas that are uncomfortable and I hate cold weather. When I was younger it almost put me on disability but I found ways to deal with it without taking meds such as massage and knowing when I needed to slow down and take a break.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• maybe about FMS, sure...i'm only going by what my sister has explained. But to call me undereducated in general is just rude & untrue... I never said that i was right, that was just my opinion on the matter.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010