Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

If the father of your child was paying child support and he was only making minimum wage and has to pay $246 a month now he lost his job b/c he was drinking and stealing from work now he has a new job minimum wage just not as many hours but i think they based his child support on if he had a full time job. Do they really change it if they are not making as much money like what if he didn't have a job at all would they say on you don't have to pay anything?? are they going to change it or do you think they will still base it on min wage full time?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • You may be able to find out what your state does online. In the state I lived in in order to change support the father would have to go to court and show good reason for the change. Loosing a min. wage job would not be good reason. You could only change once every 4 years.


    Answer by Gailll at 12:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • have you talked to the people in charge? i know someone who still got it even though dad kept job jumping trying to advoid it. he got put in jail.

    Answer by noel1978 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • Some states have a minimum that they pay. Like a 15 year old boy who doesn't have a job and knocks his girlfriend up would have to pay $50. Most adults with no job base it on 40 hours min wage. At least that has been how the people I know seem to experience it.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • my ex pays based on what he makes in a year..if he was to have to get another job that pays less, he has the option to go back to court, but he has to prove it with tax return and what not...or if he gets a raise, and i dont know about it, i have the option of forcing him to get a new assesment, but, if im wrong, that could screw me i just leave it

    Answer by alexis_06 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • So how do you know that is why he lost his job. Kind like you want to kick him when he is down... My friends husband pays 300 a month but after his job cut his department, he went into court and was told that he has to pay 150 a month since he was making minimum wage. Again it depends on state and what judge requires you can contact your case worker and see if there was away for him to continue paying that amount but again it can screw you too

    Answer by Claudiomom at 1:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • I wouldnt worry about them making any adjustments just yet. He has to submit the new info into child support and then a new hearing woudl have to be you thin khe's going to go through all that? Thats not a very big amount as it is. They would most likely keep it the same unles his wages go higher..then you'd get an increase. If its based on minumum wage now...even if he doesnt have a job..he still has to pay..they will tell him, oh well..go get a job have kids to support. Good Luck.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • If he petitions the Child Support enforcement agency, he may be able to have it reduced. In Ohio, they can only take up to 40% of someone's income. Some states may impute minimum wage/40 hrs/wk, but with the economy like it is I wouldn't take that for granted.

    Answer by Scuba at 3:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.