I have a friend..

who is constantly complaining about money issues and how she needs more hours at work and such. But then she is constantly telling me about the 100 dollar jeans she got, or the two new dresses she got and how she needs to go get her hair died. I really dont understand this behavior! I just want to scream at her sometimes! If i even say something like "oh I thought you were trying to save more" , she blows up and insists she does not ever buy anything for herself. She doesnt have children or anything, and I could really care less how much she spends. But I cant take listening to her complain about money problems anymore! How can I break it to her that she either needs to stop spending, or stop complaining (at least to me) about her money? I dont want to insult her, but I cant take it anymore!

Morgs7531642

Asked by Morgs7531642 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do what I did... offer to help them create a budget. That way you're making the effort to help... but they will probably refuse, and quit complaining. After that, if they do complain, be like "Well, my offer still stands..."
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Either way you go, it's going to make her mad. I had a friend do that too and when I confronted her, we no long talk anymore.
    She would constantly cry to me that her fiance was out of work and she had to pay all the bills and she was stressed. But then EVERY DAY she would get fast food at least twice a day .. plus whatever fast food she bought over the weekend.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• are you her only friend who will listen? have you tried turning the tables on her? make her listen and see if she can't conect. but us you instead of her. complain that you don't get the hours, you have kids and now that schools here you just had to and pay for new clothes and new supplies. plus the shoes. just right there were talking a small fortune! see if that will help. maybe she's doing it just to get someone to talk to.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You have to talk to her and let her know you can't "be there" anymore for the complaining. You might lose her as a friend, but I think you might be better off.. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sometimes people grow apart, It's happend with me and a couple of friends that don't have kids & they still were going out all the time & thats o.k. it just wasn't what I do anymore so we kinda just went our own ways.We might hang out again some day but it was a mutual understanding.No need for it to be ugly, people grow & change.'It happens all the time.'
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think you're going to have to be straight-up honest with her.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Just tell her that you you don't want to hear her complain about money problems if she isn't going to do anything to correct the situation. She sounds like she just likes to complain.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010