do you sometimes feel like you are holding your child back?

from doing things they would maybe like to do? sports, church, having friends, playing, anything??

sometimes i do.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes sometimes b/c my dd is aspergers and I worry that she wont be able to handle certain situations. But we are signing her up for dance this season and I think she will do fine.

I realize that I do this to protect her and sometimes I do it too much so I am trying to correct this :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Never felt that way, there was nothing they wanted to do that they didn't.

Answer by older at 12:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Nope..Mine has way more freedom and experience than most kids his age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes. I just don't make enough money to allow them to do what they are good at. My DD would be awesome in gymnastic but I just can't afford it. My son would love to ride horses more often(he is on scholarship) but we just can't. I KNOW I am holding them back. It makes me so sad.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, I try to let my son try new things and when he finds something he likes and wants to stick with it, then he can. He is only 4years old, so we have a lot of trying to do. My SD's mother was holding her back, so we let her try gymnastics and she has stuck with that.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No. My dh and I try to let him do about whatever he wants to do. He is in preschool, plays soccer, and now he is wanting to play t-ball. When we started trying for a family we thought about all the activities and expenses associated with them. One reason why we are only having one child. I always feel sorry for kids that can't do activities they want b/c of parents can't afford it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When she was younger (under 2ish) I did. But now that she's 5, after everything she'd done and been through already, she's shown that she's strong, and can handle a lot. So we give her more privileges, freedom, and responsibility than most 5 year olds. Most thinks like dance and sports, if we can afford it when it comes up, then we let her try it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• no, my kids go to church, do ballet play sports, and do playgroups, they also belong to a childrens volunteer program, it is important for a healthy childhood, IMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes I do...My son almost 6 has ADHD/Aspergers and because I've seen him struggle so much in school, I haven't signed him up for swim lessons or anything because it can be so hard to get him to even follow a simple one step direction. Also I haven't gotten outside to take him to the park or anything because of my special needs daughter almost 2 that can't walk, talk, and has to drink thickened liquids and eat pureed food. It makes the planning ahead so much more painstaking and she gets very fussy at times in unfamiliar environments. Makes a person often feel limited in what they can do...and hard to make friends or relate to other mothers and families when mine is so different. I hardly have any friends whose children mine can play with, and their way of play is so much different. It's hard to know what to do at times:(
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Occasionally. I'm a little over protective so I don't always let my kids do things that their friends do. Also, I know my boys would love karate and hockey but they are super expensive so I've swayed them to try other activities!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010