anyone have a child thats dyslexic? and have any info on it??

how old were they when you figured out they were? did you figure it out, or did a teacher at school?? what were their signs? is dyslexia genetic?? i "googled" this stuff, but i was kind of hoping for real people and their experiances with it. i dont know for sure if my daughter is, but, i kinda think she might be. and i just dont know what to do, or how to help, or anything. any info would be greatly appreciated :)

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is dyslexic and I figured it out the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade. It took until the end of 3rd to get him tested properly and placed in special services. The school doesn't use dyslexic, they use Learning Disability.

My son was having trouble and I just thought it was him being the class clown. Then in that summer, I was working hard with him and he would forget words if he didn't read them EVERY day. We really got frustrated that summer and I knew something wasn't right!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I do not have a dyslexic child, however, I am dyslexic (among other things). I was about 5 or 6 when the teachers had me tested... As with most issues of this type the causes are largely unknown and mostly based on speculation. Dyslexia is far from a major issue! It's more than livable. It comes down to learning to learn a different way... Seeing how I was the child and not the parent, I don't know how to really help you to much. But here are some resources I would recommend which may help both of you.

Visit: www.Dyslexia.com
    Read: "The Everything Parent's Guide To Children With Dyslexia: All You Need To Ensure Your Child's Success," "The Gift of Dyslexia, Revised and Expanded: Why Some of the Smartest People Can't Read...and How They Can Learn" and "Overcoming Dyslexia For Dummies"

I have more "reading list" books if you want them, but a search on Amazon should pull most of them up. Good Luck & Gods Bless!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes it's genetic. I highly recommend that you look into a "multi sensory approach to reading". If you wait for the school it most likely won't get discovered or label as such until the child is in 3rd-4th grade. This is because until then they just dismiss it as the child being slow, not applying themselves, lazy, etc. Sometimes a person can be a functioning dyslexic. That means they have dyslexia, but learned how to function and get "by" without a formal evaluation, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010