Pregnant with a heart murmur....

Hello ladies. I just found out about a month ago I have a heart murmur. And I didnt even feel it when my doctor had told me about it. But then 2 weeks later. Its hard to breathe, it really is and its the scariest feeling ever.. Im now 7mnths. I have 3 mnths to go until November 4th! Has anyone been pregnant with a heart murmur? Does anyone know if it will affect me in labor??

--I will be asking my doctor at my next apt, just wanted to hear from other ladies.

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 1:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, I was diagnosed with a heart murmur years ago. Had 2 pregnancies. Did fine. I hope you get reassurance at your next checkup. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've had a murmur since I was 12. I had more bouts of irregular/super strong hearbeats, but everything was OK. I've had 3 kids, the last one completely natural... and everything was OK. The first 2 pregnancies I didnt even bring it up to my OB... the 3rd time I'd had some issues with irregular beats, and the on call Dr was like "You'll have to have a c-section" and I called her crazy and told her that it was NO excuse to go cutting on me, I would be having my baby "normally"- and I did... all 9lb 13oz of him, sunny side up.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was told during my first pregnancy I had a murmur - but then again, it's something a fair number of pregnant moms are "diagnosed" with, due to the extra blood flow. Mine turned out to be a true heart problem - not diagnosed til a few years later, when my 4th baby was 5 months old - if my OB had pushed the murmur issue I would have been diagnosed much sooner, but she didn't push it since it's a fairly normal thing. My heart problem is more major than just a murmur - that was just the first sign. I carried another full-term pregnancy after being diagnosed ("oopsie" baby!) and just took it easy. If you're worried, call your OB, and if it's causing that much problem, push to see a cardiologist, specifically one who has experience with pregnant women.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have had a heart murmur since I was young. I am now in my 3rd pregnancy and while each pregnancy does bring on more irregular beats and palpatations, it does not cause any trouble during delivery. I would suggest that you talk to the Dr. about it. A Murmur can be common during pregnancy so my best advice would be to get in to see a cardiologist after the baby is born so they can make sure it isn't a true heart issue. God Bless and Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010