How to tell the parents?

I have been babysitting for 2 years now and have only charged $20.00 dollars a day but it seems to me that these parents could be taking advantage of me and I know that is my fault but sometimes they don't pick their kids up till after 6:00 pm or they DO NOT call me to let me know they are not coming... (alittle communication people). anyway I want to charge maybe $30.00 dollars a day I think that would be worth the trouble...lol
this is my home where I take care of the kids. Oh and on the days they do not come in do I still charge for that day for their spot. hey we all have to make a living some how.... Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dear Parents, After a lot of thought (and discussion with my SO {if applicable to you}) I have decided it's time to make a few changes. As of (date, give at least 2 weeks notice, a month's notice is nice, but no longer than that) the daily rates will be raised to $30. Also I will be implementing a late fee - if you're more than (10 minutes) late picking up your child, it will be an extra ($5) for the day. If you're over (30 miutes) late it will be an extra ($15) for the day. [or you could have $1 per minute, really whatever works best for you - which is why I used the () - use amounts that you like]. Thank you for your understanding. Signed, (your name).

My question - do you feed the kid(s), etc? Or do the parents provide everything? If you're feeding them and everything for $20/day, it's time to raise your rate! Don't hold back on the late fees, it's cutting into your personal time!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That's how all babysitters do it.. I would just come right out and say that the rates have been raised. It happens all the time.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• try implementing a late fee instead. it's a turnoff to just up your rates out of the blue.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It's legal to up your rates.. you should probably give them like a months notice or something.. thats how my daycare normally does.. but you can raise or lower your rates anytime you like.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yeah that or charge them 20 a day and "overtime" if they don't pick up on time.
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with the late charge. I pay $20 per day for my DS to go to a daycare center and he is usually there from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm (8-5 shift and 25-30 min drive). We also don't have to pay on days he isn't there and they have a "when he's here, he's here and when he's not, he's not" policy which is really nice. The hours are 6am to 6pm and if you show up after 6, it's automatically a $10 fee. If you're more than an hour late, it's $30. Your rate is already reasonable, just ask them to be reasonable as well. How many kids do you watch? How many of them are picked up late?
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Are you a daycare or just babysitting? Daycares usually charge a flat rate, but as a babysitter, I would charge by the hour. Nannies/Babysitters these days range from about $5(usually inexperienced teen) - $15/hour. I know someone who nannies and brings her kid and she gets $11/hour. I think you should be charging more.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is super low mom :) I think 30 would be more appropriate. I would type up a letter explain the rising costs of things and how you give wonderful care for their children. And then talk with each one as you hand out the letter. Dont be apologetic though! They have jobs so they can make money, so do you! :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• And yes I would give plenty of time for the change to take effect! Dont spring it on them that you are upping the rate next week!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would do a little research and find out what some of the other daycare providers are charging in your area. If you are under-charging...send home a notice with a certain date in which your rates will change to the more competitive rate. It is also common to charge late fees if pick up time is not held to. Don't be afraid to add that it....if they are on time, it won't affect them!
    texasmom010409

Answer by texasmom010409 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010