Does anyone know the penalties and charges for buying and selling stolen property?

To make a long story short, two of our motorcycles were stolen a couple of months ago, and we just found them on Craigslist. We're 99.9% positive they're ours, as they're customized and rare...and get this...neither of the ones for sale have keys with them! Hmmm...what a coincidence. Anyways, we're meeting with the police, but I have a feeling that the guy selling them isn't the one who stole them. The police say it's all a big ring, that hundreds have been stolen this year, in the same nights, so they're almost positive they're all connected!

Anyways, what sort of charges and punishment go to the ones who bought and sold stolen vehicles? Are they charged even if they weren't aware it was stolen?

Sorry to post this in P&C, but involves law, and I honestly had no idea where to put it.

Gosh, I really hope we can get these guys busted!!!

Thanks for any info!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would think this would be a federal crime, depending on the value of the bikes... will you get them back?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Not that it is the same...but someone stole a pot of mini roses off my porch a few months ago. A few days later i was sure i saw them planted in the front yard of a rental house in our neighbor hood. Later, under cover of darkness, my husband dug them up and brought them home to me! Well, about a week after that i found the pot in the garden next to my porch, they weren't actually stolen, they just fell off the porch...Yikes!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is a great story about the potted roses ...

LovingSAHMommy - I am sorry to hear about your motorcyles.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• What state do you live in?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd rather not say, sorry.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I guess it does depends on that, huh? Hmm.
    LovingSAHMommy

• Okay, I will look it up under my state laws to give you a general idea.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well, we're not sure. We've been paid by our insurance, so most likely not. I'm assuming they'll either become property of our insurance company, or go to a police auction (which we'll then go buy them back). We're mainly, at this point, want to catch the thieves. They're good. We live in a nice area, yet somehow they've managed to steal these bikes in situations where I wouldn't think someone would be able to get away with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm hoping that even if the guy selling them bought them from the thief, that they can trace it back.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sorry, it took so long for me to get back. Since I don't know your state, I found some generic information about receiving stolen property. http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/white_collar_crimes/crime_property.htm

So, basically, if the guy who is selling the motorcycles is aware or had any involvement then he will be charged. Whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony depends on your state. Also, some states can/will charge the guy if he did not do the proper paperwork even if he wasn't involved in the theft of the motorcycles. It really depends on the circumstances and state laws as to what they can charge him with. Hope this helps.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010