Do you feel that the media in america has an influance on You???

I feel that they try very hard to manipulate the public.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• EVERYTHING in your environment has the potential to inflence you, including "The Media". Even if you hate "The Media", you are still reacting. The question is not whether your the things in your environment influences you, but how much you internalize what you see/hear/read & act on it. Do you just accept what "The Media" tells you, or do you question it? Are your media sources primarily one-sided, or do you seek out other versions of the same story to achieve a more balanced, detached view? Do you make up your mind about the issue before you completely understand it simply because you have placed your trust in the source, or do you gather more information from different sources before making up your mind? In other words, do you let "The Media" think for you and use you to spread their messages and agendas, or do YOU use the media to gather information so that you can think for yourself?
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• IMO, the media's purpose is to spark interest. It's up to the individual to either research or blindly follow.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• sometimes. When i see really hot chicks on TV i think "not fare, i want to look like that too!" then i go on a diet the next day...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Absolutely Not Me! BUT, I think that the "Masses are Asses" and the media manipulates how the public "thinks" on a daily basis. They will report on a topic that will often benefit Big Business and NOT report on a topic that may damage "Big Business". They also defer attention away from a particular subject for Political reasons. They will tell the public what they want to hear without taking into account the repercussions upon the economy. "Don't Spend! Save!!!" Then go look for a job when they are all gone because no one is spending. "Now lets go to the weather.................." That and the ridiculous Sexy News Reporters with everything hanging out, Yea that's Professional. The News today is nothing but mere entertainment. Everything has lost its class & respect & reliability.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Absolutely, Lord knows when i see an ice cream add i want ice cream :p could also be because im pregnant
    Darkdevinity

Answer by Darkdevinity at 1:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it has a big part in peoples behaivor...

Mostly all the teen shows have sex, drug, kids getting tatoos and piercings. they are cursing or pregnant or worried about getting pregnant, when I was a teen I watched family shows where things got carried away by a kid stealiing something not getting pregnant getting a dwi...

It is crazy, and when I see the commercials for restaraunts it does make you want them.. UM UM GOOD

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It's an equal relationship.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I hope not, I try to take what I hear and read with a grain of salt. I especially like that media where in major denial about the 2nd Great Depression and still insist it is not a depression. On the news last night, they reported CA unemployment at 9.5% or some ridiculous number like that and that we were halfway through the "recession." How can that possibly be determined? Halfway through? Who decided that?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• LOL! Not exactly what I meant but I know where you are coming from!
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, I do not let the media influence me. I can think for myself, and I'm really good at using Google to research those topics I am most interested in learning more about. The media, like a computer or a book, is a TOOL for obtaining information. What you discern or learn from that tool is on you.

I prefer to treat news media like a scientific theory--it is never settled (as in just one viewpoint) and it should be constantly challenged (questioned).

While some people want to broaden their horizons, others admit to having a preference of letting just ONE local news channel or ONE talking head do all of the thinking for them! Very sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010