Stupid economy...Job question.

I've worked at my current job since October, and trust me, I'm thankful to have a job at all. BUT, this job has got to be the MOST boring job on earth. I sit at a desk all day, I sort the mail and renew my company's contracts with clients but the contracts only renew once a month so the rest of the month I have little things here and there to get done but more than half the time I'm either staring at the ceiling or surfing the web.

I've asked my supervisor for advice or extra work and she never responds, or she gives me something little she doesn't have time to do which takes MAYbe an hour. It's a fulltime job 40 hrs a week and I always feel like this is time I could be with my son because I'm not doing anything here! BUT, I'm afraid to go over my supervisors head to the CEO with this because I'm worried he'll cut my position or cut me to part time because of the economy. Any advice on how to breach the subject?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd consider myself lucky to have a job and not rock the boat!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Leave it alone, Maybe it will pick up.. or ask more people if they need assistance. The worst thing you can do in these times is ask to cut your hours, you may make yourself look as if you really don't want the job. And at this point they can probably hire someone who is willing to make less money and hire them in at part time hours.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well, I've been here for 10 months hoping it would pick up but it hasn't...I've asked the entire office for extra stuff they can't get to but rarely do I get anywhere. I don't really want to ask for a cut in my hours, I'd rather ask for some additional responsibilities but it's also hard because I'm the youngest one in the company by 7 years. A lot of people underestimate my work capacity and I'd been hoping they'd notice I'm really good at what I do because everytime I get a project it's done way ahead of the deadline and I rarely make mistakes. I just hate sitting there staring at the clock for hours on end. It makes for a VERY long day.
    AidensMommy608

Comment by AidensMommy608 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Unfortunately, if you want to keep your job, you're going to have to keep quiet and look busy. If you complain, no matter how diplomaticaly, you risk losing your job. They know they can get someone to do your job who won't complain and wouldn't mind doing something so boring. Why don't you try looking for another job? Since you're currently employed, it'll make finding a new one easier. And you'll know next time that you need a job with a lot of variety to keep you happy.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It sounds like there is only so much work to go around at your office. If you complain about not having enough, I agree that they will either cut your hours to PT or fire you and hire someone cheaper at FT. It's much cheaper to have a PT employee so don't give them any reasons to go that route.

Your choices seem to be either live with the amount of work at this job or find another.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Get your butt in gear and find a new job!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would stick it out. At least you have income coming in. I worked at a boring job for four years. I read more books in that time than any other time in my life. But, it was a paycheck. When the time comes that you find something else, well consider it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010