baptizing/christened

i am not a religious person by any means, but i was baptized and my grandmother is a roman catholic who is quite religious. my grandmother has recently gotten very ill and i love her and my children are the world to her and i know she would like them to be baptized so i am considering this. but, i'm not sure who to go about doing it. my parents don't remember and i've heard that the godmother and godfather have to be of the same religion too. and also, my MIL is christian and is saying that they need to be done in her church in her way (which is not gonna happen cuz this is for my grandmother and they are MY children), but whats the difference between baptizing christians and roman catholics anyway? and how does it all happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have the same situation as you do. One side is catholic and the other is Christian. I know the Catholics baptize their kids when they are younger. You can just go to your grandmother's church and get them baptized by her preacher. I know you can either do it during church or schedule it for Saturday. I have been to ones where it's just family and they do it on Saturday. I know the godparents have to go to some sort of class. I believe that's right but not quite sure. I'm not sure what your mom is talking about. With Christians the kids wait till they're old enough to "Believe that Jesus is the son of God". Usually Christians get baptized in their teen years or later. I'm not very religious but this is how my family has done it since I was little.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 9:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Catholics are Christians and we do believe in ONE baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We, as Catholics, do recognized many other Christian baptism. Most of the times converts do NOT have to be re-baptized.

Canon Law states that you may have ONE godparent (sponsor) and that sponsor (godparent) has to be a Catholic-Christian. If you choose an non-Catholic they have to stand up WITH a Catholic and they would NOT be a godparent, BUT a Christian-Witness. Also if you choose to have 2 then you'll need ONE male and ONE female.

Also, I a Catholic-Christian myself, I would like to say that it wouldn't be a good idea to get your children baptized just because your Grandma wants you too (for for your Grandma as you put it)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• NOT all Non-Catholic Christians wait until the child is older. Lutherans, Methodist, Anglicans, Episcopalians, and Orthodox, who all are Non-Catholic Christians also do infant baptisms.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes, it's true that most of the Catholic-Churches require that Sponsors (godparents) and/or the child's parents to attend a class. This class is so that they (the parents and/or godparents) have the opportunity to fully realize what they are asking (or doing) on the behave of the child.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• One of the god parents would have had to made their confirmation. My daughter's god mother did, and my brother in law didn't. So as long as you have one of them that made their confirmation and still are an active parishioner, you'll be able to get your children baptized.
    Kimmers1116

Answer by Kimmers1116 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• if it means nothing to you but just important to grandma then I would ask her. in actuallity there isn't a set way to do it anyone can baptise an infant. but this is a religous ceremony and if you don't care it seems to me you are moking the religion. I personally do not believe in it. I am not sure doing it for show is a good idea.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• For a sacrament (baptism) to be valid, three things have to be present: the correct form, the correct matter, and the correct intention. With baptism, the correct intention is to do what the Church does, the correct matter is water, and the correct form is the baptizing "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 28:19). more next post

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• That is why Catholic-Christians recognized many other non-Catholic baptisms to be valid an do not require many of the converts to be re-baptized. Examples of what Catholics would consider to be a valid baptism would be Lutheran, Methodist, Anglican, Episcopalian, Orthodox, Baptist, etc. Basically its almost any baptism that is done with water and the words "I baptized you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" http://www.catholic.com/library/Trinitarian_Baptism.asp
    SAHMinIL

• I know I've gone on and on....but I just wanted to say again. That I, as a Catholic-Christian, even though baptism is important and I totally understand why your Grandmother would like to see it get done, believe it's not the "right" reason to have your child baptized.

If you want your child baptized, then do it because you believe it's what's right for them and what is needed for them. Don't do it because it's what your Grandma wants....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Guess I'll be the monkey wrench here. Baptism is for the forgiveness of sin and accepting Christ as your savior. Infants have no sin and are incapable of accepting Christ as their savior. They need not be baptized. Children are not held accountable for sin until they reach the age of accountability. That is to say knowing the difference between right and wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2008