How can I get green marker off a wooden toy box?

I've moved my 5yr old's toy box into my living room to now keep my 1yr old's toys tidy and out of the way. However, my 5yr old colored on it with green marker some time ago. I'd like to get it off due to the toy box being where everyone can see it now. My father in law made it himself...and I'd like to fix this before he sees it like that. Its made out of wood..and shaped like a treasure chest. Really cute, minus the majic marker....(AND ...learned my lesson, only washable markers are allowed in the house now!)

texasmom010409

Asked by texasmom010409 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Murphy's oil soap is supposed to be good for wood surfaces.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• ooo....not a washable marker? Thats going to be tough! Is there a clear coat on the wood or is it naked wood? Hope its clear coated..it may be a little easier.Try some nail polish remover..but just a little at a time to make sure it doesnt cause further damage to the wood.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd just go right ahead and paint it!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Its clear coated. I was thinking of using toothpaste...heard that might work, but was thinking it might fade the color....maybe the nail polish remover is worth a shot too....hmmm
    texasmom010409

Comment by texasmom010409 (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd try toothpaste first, then rubbing alcohol, before trying the nail polish remover, since that is pretty much guaranteed to mess up the finish.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Rubbing Alcohol and Nail Polish Remover will RUIN the SURFACE OF THE FINISH!

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Have a paint party with your 2 kids and a couple of their friends.Go to ToysR'Us,get some kids paint & paint brushes & let them paint whatever they want to paint.Or....just paint it green.Have fun!!! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 4:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Mr Clean magic eraser or Goof Off
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• On a clear coated surace, I've been successful using a Mr/ Clean Magic Eraser and Fantastic spray cleaner.

But if all else fails, you COULD paint it, and stencil on some cute designs that coordinate with the rest of the theme.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sol-U-Mel works - I've gotten sharpie, markers and nail polish off my wooden furniture ( and carpet) Good luck!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010