I know I'll probably get bashed but.... adult content

I see these moms on here that say they let their kids decide when its time to stop breastfeeding and it makes me wonder. Do you think this is like when a kid has a bottle or nuk at 5 and the parent lets them have it? Shouldn't the parent be the one to decide what is best for their child? I know I'm not the only one that is creeped out by a child of 4,5 or 6,getting comfort from suckling Mom's breast. Aren't these women's husbands getting a little irked with having to share their wives with a child? My view is when the child is getting most of their nutrition from feeding themselves,its time to stop the breastfeeding. At least by 2! if you want to continue the nutrional benefits,pump it. I can't help but think that mommy just can't let go of whatever she gets out of it more than what the child does.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Butterflyblue, I agree!!! In my opinion, your baby will get the benefit of breast feeding by age one and that is the time to wean. If a Mom goes beyond that, it IS just for her.
    Kids have to start growing and changing and separating from Mommy. They can't be healthy ,emotionally,if they are attched to Mommy as a 4 year old. Its just a Mom being too possessive.
    And, Moms have to keep Daddy as #1 on her list of priorities. To keep your marriage happy, don't forget your husband.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• clappingI Agree.

DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Child led weaning is practice which parents conciously engage in. I think most parents know whats best for thier children, EBF included.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It is absoultely okay for a parent to let their child self wean from their breast. Breastfeeding is the most natural way to feed a child and it is the way that God intended. If breastfeeding offends you then put a blanket over your head!!
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree and no you are not the only one to get creeped out by this
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree!
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Totally Agree
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree, I've always thought breastfeeding over 2 years is just weird and more of a parent thing then a child thing. What happens when they start school? Does the mom come up for lunch and breast feed their child in front of his/her classmates?
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree past 3 or so. And go you for having the guts to ask. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• In my opinion, your baby will get the benefit of breast feeding by age one and that is the time to wean. If a Mom goes beyond that, it IS just for her.

How is just for her? What does a mother get out of it except knowing that she is giving her child the best nutrition that is available.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010