If you had the money (or do have the money) would you send your kids to camp for 6~8 weeks?

I am curious. My dd has a 10 yr old friend that spends all summer basicly at summer camp. I am considering sending my dd to maybe three weeks of camp but not all in a row. I know we could not afford to send our kids to sleep away camp for 6~8 weeks but I think thats too long! How would you feel about it? Would you send your 9-11 away that long?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 2:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe I'm overprotective! At 9 I'd be ok with maybe one week. By 11 I'd maybe be ok with two weeks. By 14 I think 3 or possibly even 4 weeks might be ok. They can stay gone for 6 - 8 weeks when they go to college!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree 6-8 weeks is a long time. 2 - 3 weeks would be nice though as long as they're enjoying the summer camp.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I spent part of my summers growing up at camp. It really was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about teamwork and friendships. It was a very positive experience for me, so yeah. I guess it depends on whether the child wants to go. I was always having so much fun that I really didn't have time to miss home.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My son is too young for that right now, but I don't know if I could do 6-8 weeks. Maybe when he's a teenager? Right now just thinking of him being away from us for that long is scary. It'll be hard enough to have him leaving him for good.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Probably not. It would depend on how old and if they wanted to go and a bunch of other things.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• YES!!! I worked at a 7 week camp and it's an AWESOME experience for the kids!!! My kids will go - I can not wait for them to have the experience. The friends they make will be life long!! I will miss then terribly, but I know what they will get out of it!! Most 7 wk camps offer some kind of financial aid as well.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I went to sleep away camp starting at age 11, for a month. The next years - through the summer after my junior year I was away from 6-8 weeks. some I loved, others not as much. When I was younger I felt like my mom sent me just to get away from me.

That being said, I would send them if they express a desire to go. This year DS1 was ready but we didn't have the money. Maybe next year, for about 3 weeks is what we are planning.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Probably not. I would miss them too much! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd do three weeks, we always do several mini-vacations and a week-long one every year, there wouldn't be enough time to do those as well as 6-8 weeks at camp.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• For overnight camp? No, that is way to long IMO. I think a summer day camp would be fun for a few weeks, but I don't think my kids are ready to go away for that long plus I would miss them!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010