bananas

any ideas how to keep bananas fresh longer? It seems like they spoil so quickly! I buy them and 2 days later they are covered in spots!! I won't eat them when they have a lot of spots (too ripe) I dont like the strong taste when they are so ripe. Anyway, I thought of putting them in the fridge but then they turn brown! I dont like that! I was also thinking of buying those green bags? Do they work?

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 2:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Those green bags do work :) We have a sky light in our kitchen and bananas go bad so fast. In those Green Bags they actually lasted quite a long while.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm like you, I don't like to eat them when they have too many spots or turn brown. I've been trying to get them eaten up as quickly as possible, by heading them to cereal, yogurt or making smoothies out of them. I haven't seen the green bags in the stores here lately (well except for the ones that are about $10 a piece and I'm not spending that).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I pull them apart when I first get home from the grocery store, which seems to help. Oh and if you put them in the fridge or freezer, the outside will brown, but the inside will be fine. Other than that, there's always banana bread lol. :)-
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Seperate, hang if that's not an option, keep away from heat (not on the fridge or stove, away from sinks/windows, etc). I bought some last Thursday that are still nice - I left them in the bunch out of the kitchen.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Ours go in the bread box and last longer than a couple days (but they still go too fast). If you like sugar you can smash the bananas up and put sugar and milk on top. I think it's really yummy!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• buy some yellow, and some still green so they will ripen while you eat the yellow ones
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 7:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When they get ripe, they get sliced and frozen

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I freeze them and use for smoothies and banana bread.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i freeze my over-ripe bananas for breads, muffins, smoothies, etc... but i also wait until they have a couple of spots on them for perfect ripeness so we have different banana tastes :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010