For Breastfeeding Mommies! How do I get my son to stop biting?

My son is 8 months old and thinks its really funny to bite me while he is breastfeeding. I have tried telling him "no" and taking away the breast, but he just laughs and thinks its really funny that he hurt me. I am almost to the point of stopping because my nipples hurt sooooo much.I really don't want to stop because of all the benefits of breastfeeding. How do I get him to stop biting me? Any ideas?

Dodie702

Asked by Dodie702 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have any suggestions about the biting thing, but if you do end up weening him, 8 months is excellent IMO.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Don't wean him. Just push his face into the breast everytime. It will make him let go because he can't breath. Do it immediately and he will associate that with biting. It will be unpleasant for him and you need to accompany it with a stern NO!, No biting!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/3504778/WHEN_BABIES_ATTACK_Or_how_to_stop_biting

Strategies there for you. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• 8mos is too young to ween. My son did the same. He stopped laughing when he figured out after many times that biting meant no booby!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I immediately ended the nursing session when my daughter did this, even if she was only getting started. Take him off and put him on his mat or another safe place, that way he gets the idea that biting=nursing OVER. It may take a few times but he'll get it. Wait 10-15 minutes or so and then you can try nursing again, don't let him go hungry but give him enough time to make him think he's not getting anymore. Also, check and see if he has any new teeth sprouting. My daughter would do this everytime she broke another tooth in. She had to get used to the feeling of it in her mouth and re-adjust her latch. If he is cutting a tooth, he may be biting for relief. Give him a cold teething ring before nursing to numbs his gums or rub some little teethers/orajel a few minutes before if it's really bad.
    DanielleB10

Answer by DanielleB10 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• definitely smush him into your boob so he can't breathe and he will stop. after a couple times of doing this he will stop, hopefully
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Smush him into your boob, when he lets go put him in the middle of the floor and walk out of the room. After a few minutes go back in and finish feeding him.
    new_mom_in_2010

Answer by new_mom_in_2010 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• my son is 7 months with 2 teeth and hasnt dobe that yet! hopefully he wont bc he wont take a bottle at all! i would go crazy! good luck!
    sweetbeb05

Answer by sweetbeb05 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2010