how do i stop him from arguing??

my 8 year old argues with me and pouts about everything! from what to eat to where we're going to how long we'll be there. any ideas on how to get him to just relax and enjoy himself ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My grandmother thought like you and stifled my desire to debate/argue (depending on your point of view). She made me stop. As an adult I was tested and found out that my field of endeavor should have been as a lawyer BECAUSE of my gift of debate/argue/challenging authority. It turned out to be too late for me but it's not too late for him. Don't stop him. Encourage him. Tell him it's good to have this gift but help him channel it in a positive manner. Get him involved in structured debates. He can do this with friends and you can have a contest with family judging and with a prize. Embrace his gift. Don't stifle it

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I disagree. Debating CAN be nice. Depends on timing.

If I am talking about how to arrange the living room and why, my kids tell us what they think and we listen, no matter what their ideas are. But when I ask them to come here, I want them to obey me, not argue.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• In my humble opinion, kids should not 'argue' with their parents at all! Debate/discussion is appropriate depending on his age, the subject & his attitude; subjects for debate/discussion should be left up to the parents. The kids' (& parents' for that matter) attitude should be respectful. I cannot imagine telling my child(ren) to clean their room or go to bed and hearing a discussion!

What might be happening is that you have 'allowed' your 8 year old to benefit in some way from his pouting & arguing. I would establish rules & figure out beforehand what you want the consequences to be when those rules are broken. Type them up, print them out & put them in a visible place AFTER discussing them with your child. I would give 1 warning the 1st week to make sure he remembers...after that no warnings/chances. You have to be consistent and stick to the consequences!

I have a rule ~ you whine you don't get! Good luck!
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 3:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2010