Professional hair coloring

For those that get your hair colored at a salon, how long does it take them to put the color in (not counting the time needed to let your hair set)? I had my hair bleached a few years back and that took quite a while, but I'm curious about dye jobs.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• depends on what you want done.. for going darker or staying withing a shade or two of your natural color:

retouch or virgin colors typically takes me from the time I cape you and consult (start time).. to mixing and applying about 15 minutes..(then from there you sit and process)

for anything other it varies.. if I have to decolorize.. then it could take me 15-30 minutes to apply (but from the minute I start apply it's part of the processing time, a little different from going darker, which you time from the point at which you finish).

if I have to foil in highlights or lowlights.. that can take even longer..

for any decolorization I may (and typically do) have to use a toner as well.. which can add about 30-45 minutes to processing time..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I get highlights and it usually takes between 2-3 hours
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I get foiled/colored about every 7 weeks, it takes about 2 hours. My hair is past the middle of my back, so it takes awhile for her to foil my hair.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Ive never gotten my hair dyed. Only highlighted and that didn't take every long.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• your best bet is to call your stylist... tell her what you want.. and she can give you an estimated time frame.. or pm me and I can try.. although everyone's times aren't the same.. so it could vary by a half hour..

if you pm me though I'd need a picture of your hair so I can try to determine your haircolor now to what your desired shade is.. however it's best to go to your stylist because they know your hair, it's condition, how thick or thin it is, density, etc... I have only a picture to judge by and as I said could be off because of that. (unless of course you live in western NY, then I would be happy to do it for you).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well hair color is different than bleach. Depending on how long your hair is wil determine the application time. Processing usually takes about 45 mins. Bleaching for lighter hair or highlites takes longer sometimes, just depends how light you want your hair to be.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 6:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Wow. I've done it all. Bleaching takes the longest. A simple hair color, for me, takes about 15-25 minutes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Thank you ladies. The reason I asked is because I usually color my own hair (can't afford to go to a salon right now), but DH insisted on doing it because I can't see good without my glasses (which I take off when do it so the dye doesn't get on them) and he says I always miss spots. And I swear it took him about an hour to get all the color put on. I thought he was taking ridiculously long, LOL.My hair goes just right above my shoulders. I was basically just touching up my gray, and stayed close to my natural hair color.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2010