My 7 yr old?

My 7 yr old has been potty trained since 2, but still wets the bed at night. He has to wear pull ups every night and its starting to bother him. He takes them off while he's in bed and ends up peeing all over his sheets. How do I get him to stop bed wetting and go to the bathroom at night. The dr. gave us a form to buy a bella pad, which is a mat that goes under the sheets and sounds an alarm to wake him up to use the bathroom, but it costs $170.00. I cant afford this. What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• some kids especially boys wet the bed for a long time. forget the pad it will actually inforce wetting in sleep. see a urologist first there are medications that may help, try the new underjams he might like them better. tell him he must wear the pullups. if he takes them off he will be in trouble. make sure he realizes he will be in trouble for taking off the pullups not for wetting.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When i was little i wet the bed all the time (until i was about 10). I always drank cranberry juice (which helps with bladder infections, which seemed to cause a lot of my middle-of the night wetness). I went to a urologist and it turned out that my bladder didn't grow as fast as the rest of my body.
    Even at a very young age (like 6 and 7) i remember being ashamed, embarassed, and i felt like i was a 'bad' kid. Let your son know that you love him and that every child is different. Part of my problem when i would wet the bed would be me waking up and being to afraid to make it to the bathroom- like i wouldn't be able to make it down the hall without peeing allover myself and the floor.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Try keeping a chart and seeing if there is a particular time of night when he usually wets the bed. If there is a trend you can try to wake him up and take him to the bathroom at night.
    Although it is inconvenient to have to wake up throughout the night, it is easier than having to clean bed sheets and give him a bath in the mornings. Also, being with him at night rather than having an alarm wake him up seems like it would be more supportive and comfortable for him. An alarm suggests that you don't care enough to help him (even though we know you do) and he may interpret it the wrong way.
    I don't have any experience with wearing protective evening wear, so I don't know what to do about his taking off his pants in the night. It may be him not wanting to be different, or maybe he feels like he has failed you in some way and hopes that by not wearing the pants he won't wet the bed ... I"m not sure.
    bloomsr

• My children haven't had this issue, but I used to babysit for a family whose child had this problem til he was 10. What worked the best for them was the usual limiting the amount of fluids in the 2 hours before bed, and then waking him up at midnight to go to the bathroom. Now this worked for them because one of the parents was a night owl and up at that time anyway. I guess I would probably just wake him up right before you go to bed. If he goes to bed at 8pm and you wake him up at 11pm, then maybe his bladder would be empty enough not to cause any problems. Also if he can swallow pills, they make cranberry capsules. That is used commonly for people who have a history of urinary tract infections. If that is part of the problem, it could help.
    lasfl

Answer by lasfl at 2:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Thank you ladies for all ur support. I will try waking him up in the middle of the night to take him to the bathroom. I do have a cut off time for drinks with him, and it's usually 7:00 cause his bedtime is 8:30. I think alot of the problem is too is that he is affraid of "monsters" and even though i leave the bathroom light on he still seems to be afraid to go anywhere in the house by himself.
    Anonymous

• I think bed wetting is more popular than most people want to admit. I also think bedwetting happens into teenage years for some people. Buy some pull-ups. Don't worry about it, he's not doing anything wrong. He's actually very, very normal.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I finally just had to set an alarm for my son as well as mine for about 1am or so and i would wake him up to go to the bathroom. after about two weeks of this, he would remember that when his alarm woke him up that he was supposed to go to the bathroom. In addition to this I stopped giving him anything to drink one to two hours before he went to bed which also helped a lot as long as he went pee right before he climbed in bed. good luck
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think waking up to take him a couple times a night helps. My sister just did this with my 6 year old niece after years of struggling. My niece would go to bed around 8 or 9, my sister would have her go before bed, then would wake her up around midnight when she was going to bed, and then would set the alarm for 3 hours later to wake her up and go again. It was miserable for my sister for a few weeks, but it worked.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I just your post about him being afraid to get up, you can get portable potty chairs (commodes) that are made for adults but I think they're more like $40. If you could keep one in his room maybe it would help?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would limit his liquid intake before bed first of all. Then I would remind him to go a couple of times before bed. Lastly, I would set an alarm about mid way through the night to wake you up. That way you can wake him to try to potty.
    momof365

Answer by momof365 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2008