Phase or no phase... that is the question???

My daughter is turning 5 in a couple of months and until recently I have never believed in "phases." She has been acting out and deliberately doing things when I tell her not to. I was thinking that it was because of my new baby girl but the mothers that I have been talking to lately say that around the age of 5 children (girls) go through a defiant independent phase. SOOOO.. how many mom's think that is could be true? Is this phase something that really happens?

Mameech1

Asked by Mameech1 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe in Phases.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• phase
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it is a normal developmental phase!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It could be the new baby my daughter went through the same thing she was quiet and helpful once the baby came she changed she got mean and cried alot it lasted for a few weeks and I had to reassure her she was just as special as her sister she out grew it I had a rough time but thank god she out grew her phase... GL
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That being said just because it is normal doesn't excuse the behaviours.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My girl is 5 1/2 (turned 5 in mid-Feb) and so far hasn't went through any phases. But we give her a lot of freedom (watch what she wants, picks her clothes out day to day and from the store....) so there's no real reason for defiance. Though she has been independent since she was about 18 months old.
    She's probably wanting more. Give her some more freedom (her clothes, shoes, shows, movies, what to do in free time) and the need to push will fade.
    What we do is have strict boundaries but within those she's free to do what she wants. Like, one junk snack a day, rest fruits, veggies, dairy, meat. And she can have what she wants, when she wants to eat.
    With her clothes, they have to be tear-free, stain free, and cover the necessary body parts and weather appropriate. Other than that, she's free to wear whatever she wants.
    It helps us, and she does well with it.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think its could be partially a phase but I think it has more to do with a new addition.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 3:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010