Dry damaged spot in my girls hair

So, my daughter (6) has decided to have her very short hair grow out. I am okay with it. But she lays on it a certain way when she sleeps and now it's all damaged and crinkly. Kind of like a doll's hair feels.
So, I put some oils in it, conditioned it, some bed head stuff. Some detangler stuff. And this has been over the past few weeks.
When she had short hair it didn't do this. When she had long hair before it did this.
So, I told her and I even showed it to her. Well, she wants me to cut that spot out and let the rest grow long. Ummm, no. It's right smack in the back of her head and I told her it all had to be short or she had to have long hair with this dry spot because of how she sleeps.
Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to cut it - it looked good that way! And she even sleeps with a satin pillow which the stylist suggested.
Thanks.
FYI: She has very light, straight blonde hair. It's not textured

jax3

Asked by jax3 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• My daughter has the same kind of spot from all her moving around when she sleeps. I pointed it out to her but she still wants her hair to be the style it is. I figure it's her hair, her choice. I make sure it gets cleaned and brushed, after that it's up to her. She's the one who has to live with it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My dd of that age chews hers and causes a similar problem I tend to put it in a ponytail or braids. Is there a hairstyle she can wear to bed to prevent the area from getting damaged?
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I was going to suggest a ponytail or braid as well. Maybe even a shower cap? Not sure how comfy that would be though.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• try getting some layers into it.. it may "cut out" the damaged area of her hair while still keeping it in a style that can be maintained.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can change her pillow case. Studies have show that sleeping on silk or satin is much better for the skin and hair than cotton.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 10:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Not sure what might work to fix the problem. How about putting her hair up?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• You can buy her a stain cap to go to sleep with at night from a local hair store like Sally's Beauty Supply Store. They have some with that are adjustable since she is young. Also try having her go to sleep with her hair in a braid or two so that she doesn't have as much constant rubbing in different directions
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 7:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010