Other punishments-

Spanking
time out
eating something nasty
Going to bed

What is more effective?

Brittyt4you_

Asked by Brittyt4you_ at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only thing I believe in is time out
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think time out and losing privledges (toys, tv, games, friends, depending on the age) are most effective
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Grounding works for pre-teens and teenagers.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can withhold what is truly important to her/him. Every child has something they just cannot "live" without. It is their currency. Give her/him a warning that this will happen if she/he doesn't do what you are asking. Then take it away for an appropriate length of time. (the younger the child the shorter the time). You have to follow through and you have to be consistent for it to work. Dr Phil's discipline book on this is supposedly very good. Good Luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Taking away priveledges works the best for my boys and always has. We've used time out as well but nothing says I'm serious like taking away something they really want.
    Follow through and consistency are key as well.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• it depends on their age. on my 5yo time out works real well. on my 8 yo and 13 yo taking things like computer or going outside with friends away and they respond to that. i agree that it should be something that means something to them. if my 13 yo gets out of hand taking the phone away is the end of her world, but she is really good afterwards. we haven't had to do it that much.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 12:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• taking away a toy, or something special!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My DD will be 2 in 10 days and so far spanking is the only punishment we've gotten anywhere with. We've tried time out and it just didn't work. I would never make my child eat something nasty as punishment.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2010